My First Wedding Cake!

Decorating By srkmilklady Updated 25 Apr 2012 , 12:11am by srkmilklady

srkmilklady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
srkmilklady Posted 13 Apr 2012 , 1:05am
post #1 of 19

And I'm a little nervous...to say the least. icon_redface.gif Any tips, suggestions or words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated. Did you have a positive or negative experience with your first wedding cake? (This is the for the first of my two daughters who are both getting married this year.)

Thanks icon_smile.gif

18 replies
Cakery2012 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakery2012 Posted 13 Apr 2012 , 2:11am
post #2 of 19

I looked at your Gallery and your cakes look beautiful you will do great .
You are more experienced that me but just from reading I.would probably use the SPS . you probably know that or have it .
please post your cake . When is the wedding ?

nicunurse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicunurse Posted 13 Apr 2012 , 3:42am
post #3 of 19

srkmilklady, Your cakes are great! I only have a few wedding cakes under my belt, but about to put two more notches in it!! My first one, I was scared to death!! I made all the flowers for it and transported the three tier cake, stacked, 50 minutes away!! I think I held my breath the entire time!! But, it made it and so did I. I think one of the most important things I learned is to try to do alot of the work in advance. ie: make flowers, leaves etc. as I'm working on a cake, I keep a list of things I still need to do so I don't forget the little things. I'm no expert for sure, plenty here are and can offer better tips. icon_smile.gif Best wishes to you and your daughter!! icon_biggrin.gif

srkmilklady Posted 13 Apr 2012 , 5:08am
post #4 of 19

Cakery2012 and nicunurse...thank you for your comments and your advice. I will post a pic when the cake is done. thumbs_up.gif

cathyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyscakes Posted 13 Apr 2012 , 5:37am
post #5 of 19

Yes, your cakes are beautiful, so I don't think you will have any problems, its just kind of stressful with everything else you will be having to do. Definitely go with the sps system, I love it and feel so secure with it. I bake and freeze my cakes a week or two ahead of time, so no last minute surprises. Its so relaxing knowing they are baked and ready to go. Can't wait to see the pictures!

srkmilklady Posted 13 Apr 2012 , 3:04pm
post #6 of 19

Thanks cathyscakes. Just a question...when you bake and freeze ahead of time, do you level and torte first? Or just bake, cool, wrap and into the freezer?
I'm thinking I'd like to do that, but I don't normally freeze ahead of time so am not sure just how to go about it. I've seen on some threads that people do it and they all have their own way of what works. What do you suggest? Or if anyone else can tell me what they do?

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 13 Apr 2012 , 3:49pm
post #7 of 19

srkmilklady, I always freeze my cakes, but I have no hard and fast rule about whether I level and torte before or after - it just depends on how much time I have when I'm wrapping to freeze. Both ways work fine. Best of luck with your wedding cake. I'm still waiting for somebody to ask me to do one. I'm dying to, but I'm sure I'd be even more nervous than you are! The advice about doing as much stuff as you can in advance seems to me to be right on the mark.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 13 Apr 2012 , 4:04pm
post #8 of 19

Definitely use SPS. It will remove a lot of stress from you.

srkmilklady Posted 13 Apr 2012 , 5:55pm
post #9 of 19

Thanks Marianna and Leah...relieving the stress is definitely the name of the game! I appreciate all the helpful hints...will let you know how it all works out. icon_smile.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 13 Apr 2012 , 6:55pm
post #10 of 19

What, my dear, is your concern? You have done some wonderful, beautiful cakes - even tiered cakes so in essence you already *have* made wedding cakesicon_smile.gif
Carefully read all the suggestions/hints being given and you'll do just fine.
BTW: my oldest daughter's wedding cake is how I got started in this sweet lifeicon_smile.gif I have never made a decorated cake before that and within 3 weeks had made 2 or 3 more wedding cakes before I ever took so much as one lesson!

srkmilklady Posted 13 Apr 2012 , 7:09pm
post #11 of 19

Thanks kakeladi...I guess it's just the idea of "WEDDING CAKE" that maybe has me a little nervous...and the amount of people that will see/eat it. More than I've made for before. But I think if I'm organized, plan my baking day, my assembling day, and finishing day, I should be ok. If not I have a "dummy cake" waiting in the wings! icon_lol.gif

srkmilklady Posted 24 Apr 2012 , 6:41pm
post #12 of 19

Well, the wedding day came and the cake was ready. I had everything right on track right up to the day before ....when disaster struck.

I had my sugar bow for the front of the cake curing in the oven with just the light on. But had forgotten to put the "warning sign" on top of the stove. icon_eek.gif My husband decided to be a nice guy and make supper for us the night before the wedding because I was out with my daughter and her girls getting nails done and without noticing my bow, he turned the oven on to preheat and melted it!! icon_cry.gif But after a lot of crying and screaming and drama...I finally buckled down and fashioned another one and was able to dry it enough to sit on the cake.

All in all, I was happy that I made the cake and the 3 flavors of WASC, chocolate and orange were all hits with their complimenting IMBC flavors.

This cake was not what I would call a huge wedding cake, the tiers were 10" square, topped with rounds of 9", 7" and 5". But for me, being my first wedding cake, it was monumental.

I'm glad that I finally have "my first wedding cake" under my belt. Now, my youngest daughter is being married in October and that will be my 2nd wedding cake! I'm thinking of booking hubby into a hotel for a couple of nights before the big event so if anything goes wrong, it will be on my head!

Thank you all for your words of advice and encouragement. My fellow CC'ers are the best whenever I need any help! thumbs_up.gif

Wildgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wildgirl Posted 24 Apr 2012 , 6:43pm
post #13 of 19

Wow - you do awesome work! You will do a beautiful wedding cake!

Marianna46 Posted 24 Apr 2012 , 10:17pm
post #14 of 19

Oh my, oh my, oh my, what a BEAUTIFUL cake! And you really pulled it out of the fire, so to speak (okay, Marianna, enough of that!). I can't wait to see the next one!

tigachu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tigachu Posted 24 Apr 2012 , 11:00pm
post #15 of 19

that cake is stunning!! thumbs_up.gif

mom2twogrlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2twogrlz Posted 24 Apr 2012 , 11:10pm
post #16 of 19

Beautiful job!

Marianna46 Posted 24 Apr 2012 , 11:24pm
post #17 of 19

By the way, are your jewels isomalt or are they real bling? They're just to die for!

Cakery2012 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakery2012 Posted 24 Apr 2012 , 11:36pm
post #18 of 19

Gorgeous Cake !!

srkmilklady Posted 25 Apr 2012 , 12:11am
post #19 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianna46

By the way, are your jewels isomalt or are they real bling? They're just to die for!

Thanks so much everyone for the nice comments. I was really a "nervous nelly" as I stated, but I did take all of the advice offered and I baked ahead of time and froze my cakes, which I have to say, I do think helps to make them even more moist. I also had all my buttercream made ahead of time. I had decided to have the whole cake done by the Thursday night (Saturday wedding) and other than my sugar bow being "cooked" by my hubby, everything was done. So you all had a hand in helping me to make my daughter and my new son-in-law's wedding day special because of the great hints & tips you gave. So a big thank you to all of you!

Marianna, the brooch on the bow was given to me by my daughter to use on the cake and the "bling" around the tiers is called Diamond Rhinestone Ribbon Wrap and is sold on a roll. I haven't attempted "isomalt" yet. Maybe one day!

Thanks again! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%