Missing Caking On T.v.

Decorating By tdovewings Updated 14 Apr 2012 , 2:03am by annakat444

tdovewings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tdovewings Posted 12 Apr 2012 , 11:40pm
post #1 of 17

It seems like all of a sudden all the cake decorating shows are gone. I use to have something cake to watch every day. At one point I was tried of all the cake decorating re-runs, but now I miss them soooo much. Fabulous Cakes, Amazing Wedding Cakes, cake challenges, and even Cake Boss---where are you. Are you ever coming back. icon_cry.gif

Anyone else miss cake on t.v.?

16 replies
FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 13 Apr 2012 , 12:28am
post #2 of 17

Oh I do too...especially Amazing Wedding Cakes.

Even my cable's "On Demand" menu no longer lists any icon_sad.gif

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 13 Apr 2012 , 12:36am
post #3 of 17

I miss Ace of Cakes. I never knew when or where Fabulous Cakes was on. I don't think I've heard of Amazing Wedding Cakes before. I could only watch Cake Boss with the sound turned off because of all the yelling. And I can't stand the contest shows, especially Sweet Genius. I guess I'm not much for cakes on TV. I would have liked a show by Colette Peters, or Michelle Bommarito, or Sharon Zambito, or Bronwen Weber, or even Kerry Vincent teaching decorating techniques.

ChristineCMC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChristineCMC Posted 13 Apr 2012 , 12:46am
post #4 of 17

I used to love Cake Boss, when it was about caking. Then it became about the family with caking as a side.

tokazodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tokazodo Posted 13 Apr 2012 , 1:05am
post #5 of 17

Cake Boss is on netflix, if you can stand all the drama. I can only do one or two at a time and an earlier poster had the best idea, turn the volume down!

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 13 Apr 2012 , 1:11am
post #6 of 17

I miss them all... they only come out on cable channels and cut that bill. I hardly watch tv but kept it going for a while to watch the cake and cooking programs. But with the prices so darn high it wasn't worth it. So bye bye cable..

mom2twogrlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2twogrlz Posted 13 Apr 2012 , 1:39am
post #7 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanter

I miss Ace of Cakes. I never knew when or where Fabulous Cakes was on. I don't think I've heard of Amazing Wedding Cakes before. I could only watch with the sound turned off because of all the yelling. And I can't stand the contest shows, especially Sweet Genius. I guess I'm not much for cakes on TV. I would have liked a show by Colette Peters, or Michelle Bommarito, or Sharon Zambito, or Bronwen Weber, or even Kerry Vincent teaching decorating techniques.

I agree, a teaching show would be AWESOME!!!! But I guess that is what their DVD's are for. But we have to buy those........

akaivyleaf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
akaivyleaf Posted 13 Apr 2012 , 2:36am
post #8 of 17

I especially miss Ace of Cake and Amazing Cakes.

I don't understand cupcake wars, although I think they have a new season on. Seems as if the cake shows are morphing into cupcake shows.

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 13 Apr 2012 , 3:47pm
post #9 of 17

since i don't have cable, i have to pick and choose what cake shows to buy via iTunes or whatever if the show isn't available on Netflix or Hulu. my favorite by far is Amazing Wedding Cakes because I consistently learn the most from watching their decorators.

If you want to spice things up, watch Top Chef: Just Desserts, Season 2 ... don't watch Season 1 ... it was insanely stressful and upsetting to watch!

Jeannem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeannem Posted 13 Apr 2012 , 3:51pm
post #10 of 17

What's with all the "extreme" cakes?? I liked Amazing and Fabulous because they were focused on the cake and not the pyrotechnics.

subyu62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
subyu62 Posted 13 Apr 2012 , 4:04pm
post #11 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeannem

What's with all the "extreme" cakes?? I liked Amazing and Fabulous because they were focused on the cake and not the pyrotechnics.

I'm right there with you ! There seems to be more construction, less cake.

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 13 Apr 2012 , 4:07pm
post #12 of 17

A lot of the cake shows have been canceled due to low viewership. Some of them it's a bummer, some of them needed to die.

I personally love the shows that focus on actually baking stuff, because doing that from scratch, on TV, in a very short amount of time, is really really hard. I love the new format of Sweet Genius, I love to hate Cupcake Wars and can't miss an episode, and my all-time fav is Top Chef Just Desserts.

Sure, Amazing Cakes was great when it had Cakegirls and Cake Alchemy, but this last season needed to be nuked from space. That douche that hammered 1/2 of tree in a topsy turvey? Those rude obnoxious chicks that decorated a black fondant cake in the dark because they claimed black fondant fades? Complete tools. It showed the producers wanting to make good TV that have zero idea what makes a good cake decorator. I cringe thinking of all the aspiring decorators out there "learning" how to make a topsy turvey from that show. Ug.

mommachris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommachris Posted 13 Apr 2012 , 4:48pm
post #13 of 17

Gotta say I've only seen some of these shows and just got annoyed.
As bakers we KNOW how long it takes to do some of these things.
I tried watching about three of the more famous ones and got disgusted. I watched the guy poking around a Ariel fondant figure with a detailing tool ( and talking about how he made it) rather that actually really making the thing that must have taken his assistants 4 hours to do with all that detail. And all of this while working in the kitchen AT DISNEYLAND, which he just got permission to use 30 minutes ago, so he could make his little daughter's birthday cake while they are on vacation....I got a bad taste in my mouth. Oh, please!

He brought those figures from home and Disney cleared their calendar for him and his partner months ago. How stupid do they think people are that we would believe he just that morning heard from his daughter that she wants all the princesses on her cake and she wants daddy to make it. icon_confused.gificon_rolleyes.gif

I don't have time to watch all that made up drama and bad acting.
There is no reality in reality television.

And before anyone jumps on me...this is my opinion and I get to have one even if you like that show so icon_razz.gif
That was typed with my tongue firmly planted in my cheek. icon_wink.gif

mommachris

Lemmers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lemmers Posted 13 Apr 2012 , 5:25pm
post #14 of 17

I'm in the UK, so haven't heard of the shows that seem to be the favourites on here, but I do watch Ace of Cakes when I can, and Food Network challenge (though its all repeats lately :/ )

I also just watched an episode of Staten Island Cakes, and actually preferred it to Cake Boss just because the guy didn't seem to be so much of a big mouth douche bag. We also get DC Cupcakes and The Cakegirls, but there is far too much 'acting' and added drama for my liking.

There are some others I watch when I can, but I can't remember the names!! Unique Sweets or something like that? THAT one I like icon_smile.gif Lots of inspiration!

cupadeecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupadeecakes Posted 13 Apr 2012 , 8:23pm
post #15 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanter

I miss Ace of Cakes. I never knew when or where Fabulous Cakes was on. I don't think I've heard of Amazing Wedding Cakes before. I could only watch with the sound turned off because of all the yelling. And I can't stand the contest shows, especially Sweet Genius. I guess I'm not much for cakes on TV. I would have liked a show by Colette Peters, or Michelle Bommarito, or Sharon Zambito, or Bronwen Weber, or even Kerry Vincent teaching decorating techniques.

AMEN! I always watched Cake Boss with the sound off, and I miss Ace of Cakes SOOOO much! I wanted to like Sweet Genius, but they just made RBI come across as some sort of creepy mad scientist.

tdovewings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tdovewings Posted 13 Apr 2012 , 10:10pm
post #16 of 17

This is exactly what I mean, I didn't care for Cake Boss at all, for a lot of the reasons said, my favs were Fabulous Cakes and amazing wedding cakes but I miss them as much as I hated them. I too was tried of the cake challenges because of the extreme focus, but I'll take those back too. There was also this baking show on The Cooking Channel that came on in the morning, but that is gone. Cupcake wars is okay, but i'm getting tired of all the cooking shows including sweet genius with all those bizarre ingredients--no one on earth would buy cupcake with meat in them besides bacon, so let's move on.

annakat444 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annakat444 Posted 14 Apr 2012 , 2:03am
post #17 of 17

We only have Netflix and the only options I've seen related to baking are cake boss and DC cupcakes...watched one episode of DC cupcakes and those girls messed up everything they touched I couldn't stand it! What other options are there for netflix?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%