Freezerburn Transfer?

Decorating By BlueRose8302 Updated 12 Apr 2012 , 6:42pm by jgifford

BlueRose8302 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlueRose8302 Posted 12 Apr 2012 , 5:47pm
post #1 of 4

So, I was making this Angry Birds cake for my boss today. I used my FAVORITE technique of the frozen buttercream transfer for the big red bird on top. Everything went as usual. I piped the transfer yesterday afternoon and put it in the freezer and got it out and put it on the top of the cake this morning. To my shock and horror--there were strange pinkish spots in the red buttercream. Looked like freezer burn! I should have taken a picture but I was freaking out a little bit and went right to fixing it. I was able to mix some red food coloring with the red buttercream and paint it on to fix it. Ended up looking just fine--but I wanted to know if this had happened to anyone else before.

Thanks for your help!

3 replies
jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 12 Apr 2012 , 5:58pm
post #2 of 4

Freezer burn usually takes longer to happen than overnight. What did you make the transfer on - - wax paper or plastic wrap? I've had plastic wrap cause my bc to separate many times. Sounds like that's what happened. icon_sad.gif

BlueRose8302 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlueRose8302 Posted 12 Apr 2012 , 6:32pm
post #3 of 4

I used wax paper. I did everything the way I always do which is why it was such a surprise!

BTW--painting the transfer after putting it on the cake was a good way to smooth out an airbubble I missed! So--that was good!

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 12 Apr 2012 , 6:42pm
post #4 of 4

That's good to know - - sorry I couldn't help you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%