Mmf-Anyone Ever Really Figured What Causes Air Bubbles?

Decorating By Debslynn Updated 12 Apr 2012 , 5:34am by Debslynn

Debslynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debslynn Posted 11 Apr 2012 , 6:36pm
post #1 of 4

I am super happy with MMF except for the the pesky air bubbles that show when I'm rolling it out. I don't get a ton of bubbles, but usually about 5 or 6 when rolling out a large amount. They are easy enough to pop with a small needle but they still mar the surface a bit. Anyone figured out a way to cut back on the air bubbles?
Thanks for your ideas!
Debslynn

3 replies
Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 11 Apr 2012 , 10:39pm
post #2 of 4

It could be the way you are kneading it, perhaps you are incorporating air into it yourself. This can happen with any fondant, it's not necessarily anything to do with it being MMF. Occasionally it happens to me and I use bought fondant, but I still haven't been able to pinpoint what I am doing differently when kneading sometimes!

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 12 Apr 2012 , 2:18am
post #3 of 4

I SO know the answer to this one. Are you mixing it in your electric mixer with the dough hook attached. If so, - half way through the mixing process remove the contents of the bowl onto your counter (into a mound of powdered sugar. Knead the rest of the sugar in. The kneading action will eliminate leftover bubbles. But, if you roll it out and still experience bubbles, ball it up and roll it out again. This second rolling and subsequent incorporation of additional sugar will take care of any bubbles. At this point I usually smooth the surface with a fondant smoother before placing it on the cake as well as after.

Debslynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debslynn Posted 12 Apr 2012 , 5:34am
post #4 of 4

Thanks Dayti and DeniseNH for your replies. Yes, I do use my KA to mix the MMF (not the dough hook), but I also knead in a good portion of the powdered sugar by hand. I guess it must be either that I don't knead enough or do it in a way that incorporates air. Jeepers, I was wishing there was a definite answer... Maybe most people do have to battle the air bubbles...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%