Help - Cupcake Decorations Going Soggy/floppy On Frosting!

Decorating By emsyjane Updated 11 Apr 2012 , 6:31pm by chaka1

emsyjane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emsyjane Posted 11 Apr 2012 , 2:58pm
post #1 of 9

Hi Everyone,

Im new here *Waves a big hello*

Was wondering if you guys could help me out?? I'm having some problems with my cupcake decorations/toppers.

I made some cute hearts from sugarpaste/fondant mixed with tylo powder to give it extra strength for a party... I made and decorated the cupcakes the evening before. But when I got up in the morning the hearts where all sticky and floppy!! icon_sad.gif

Where am I going wrong??

Please help

Em x

8 replies
CupcakeMamaof2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CupcakeMamaof2 Posted 11 Apr 2012 , 3:20pm
post #2 of 9

How did you store the cupcakes? An airtight container will hold in moisture and make the fondant soft. I store decorated cupcakes in bakery boxes and don't have any problems.

CupcakeMamaof2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CupcakeMamaof2 Posted 11 Apr 2012 , 3:26pm
post #3 of 9

Duplicate post

emsyjane Posted 11 Apr 2012 , 3:29pm
post #4 of 9

I stored them in a wilton cake caddy.. maybe thats why!! Will try leaving them in a normal cake box.

thanks!! icon_smile.gif

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 11 Apr 2012 , 5:25pm
post #5 of 9

I leave any fondant decorations off until the last possible minute.

Sissy_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sissy_Cakes Posted 11 Apr 2012 , 6:03pm
post #6 of 9

I have had the same problem. I let my fondant decorations dry for over a week. I put the decorations on the cupcakes the night before I was to deliver them. The decorations were soggy and floppy the next day. I think (please note this is just an opinion) that the fondant decorations are absorbing the butter I used in my icing. I use 1/2 shortening, 1/2 butter in my recipe. Now I just wait until right before I deliver them before sticking the decorations on top. They will last at least a few hours before showing any signs of sogginess.

Ellie1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ellie1985 Posted 11 Apr 2012 , 6:03pm
post #7 of 9

Cupcakemama is right. I had the same problem when I stored cupcakes or a cake in a airtight container. The fondant absorbs moisture from the icing and they get soft. If you want to store your cupcakes in for example the Wilton cupcake container you can put something under the edge of the lid so there is some airflow while they are sitting on your counter. But a box is best.

emsyjane Posted 11 Apr 2012 , 6:31pm
post #8 of 9

Thanks so much for the advice guys! Really appreciate it!

chaka1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chaka1 Posted 11 Apr 2012 , 6:31pm
post #9 of 9

I don't put royal icing decorations on my cupcakes until they are ready to go. I only bake for friends and family but if I were to sell them to a customer, I'd even ask them when they were serving the cc's and maybe have them wait to put the decorations on. Otherwise they may be disappointed if they are picking up early and they end up with a soggy decoration. I'm not a professional baker so I'm just taking a guess here.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%