Sugar Cookie Decorating Help

Baking By TRena64 Updated 27 May 2012 , 5:28pm by MariaK38

TRena64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TRena64 Posted 11 Apr 2012 , 4:15am
post #1 of 6

Hi all! I'm a newbie to cake central and to cookie decorating. I'm totally addicted to both. I have a question. When decorating a sugar cookie, do you decorate the top or bottom? My sugar cookie bottoms have dents or pockets. Not sure what to call them. Anyway, I have been decorating the bottoms. Is there a right way I should be doing this? I would like my cookies to look nice on top and on bottom. Could it be my sugar cookie recipe that is doing this? Any suggestion?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer me.

PS: this is the second time I have posted this. Not sure what happened to my first. Hahaha like I said earlier.......I'm definitely a newbie icon_wink.gif

5 replies
GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 11 Apr 2012 , 5:37pm
post #2 of 6

I always decorate the "top", but I know many decorators like decorating the flatter surface of the bottom. I say use whichever one you like best! I can't help you with the dents, sorry. I don't really have a problem with pockets forming...luckily! Maybe someone else can give you some hints for eliminating those. But I wouldn't be too concerned if they are on the bottom. Decorate the tops so pretty that no one thinks to turn the cookie over!

sugarkissed_net Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarkissed_net Posted 25 Apr 2012 , 4:28am
post #3 of 6

I've always decorated the tops. Never even thought of using the bottom... go you for thinking outside the cookie box (or jar)! I recently saw a post with some double-sided cookies so seems perfectly fine.

Tails Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TRena64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TRena64 Posted 25 Apr 2012 , 1:16pm
post #5 of 6

Thank you all so much!! I finally figured out my problem with the cookie bottoms. I am also now decorating the tops. hahahaha
@Tails.....I LOVE Sweetopia! I follow her blog along with Bake @350 AND Sugarbelle.

MariaK38 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaK38 Posted 27 May 2012 , 5:28pm
post #6 of 6

I've been having this problem, too. My royal always looks kind of "bumpy" on the tops of my sugar cookies, like little hills and valleys. Definitely not flat. The tops of my cookies (before decorating) seem flat, but that changes after the royal is on. Is there a way to put my royal on better so that it's more even, maybe? I usually use a squeeze bottle and Sweet Sugarbelle's 20 second royal and I shake the cookie gently after flooding. Help! Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%