Cake Servings

Decorating By bellaloco Updated 10 Apr 2012 , 10:53pm by pursuing_perfection

bellaloco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bellaloco Posted 10 Apr 2012 , 10:32pm
post #1 of 4

Hi Everyone! I was just looking for some opinions on if I can get 35-40 servings out of a 9-inch and 6-inch cake. Both tiers will be 3 layers (about an inch each, with 2 layers of approx 1/2 inch of filling). With them being taller, I was thinking they could be cut a little smaller.

What do y'all think?

3 replies
MerlotCook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MerlotCook Posted 10 Apr 2012 , 10:38pm
post #2 of 4

Using typical wedding cake servings of 1x2x4, the 9" will give you 32 servings and the 6" will give you 12 for a total of 44 servings. I think you will be fine cutting them they typical serving size!

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 10 Apr 2012 , 10:40pm
post #3 of 4

Three 1" layers aren't taller than a typical layer cake or tier. There isn't a need to cut smaller since the 9" would serve 32 and the 6" serves 12.

pursuing_perfection Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pursuing_perfection Posted 10 Apr 2012 , 10:53pm
post #4 of 4

It would depend on whether there are other desserts being served. I find many of the serving guides to be a bit on the small side...if you are making this cake for someone else, then I would definitely include a cutting guide to make sure they can get the required number of pieces out of the cake. If it was the only dessert for a party I was having, I would probably up it to a 7" and 10"...but that is my opinion and I would rather err on the side of being generous.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%