Gumpaste Shoe Broke

Decorating By morgan0606 Updated 13 Apr 2012 , 8:02am by morgan0606

morgan0606 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morgan0606 Posted 10 Apr 2012 , 2:47pm
post #1 of 11

I made my first gumpaste shoe 4 days ago and left it on the form to dry. I removed it last night and it cracked a little so now I'm afraid that it's going to break into when I try to transport the cake. Is there a 'glue' that I can use on the crack to help keep the shoe together. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. My shoe looks really pretty...I hate to lose it and I will not send it to my customer if it's broken. Thank you very much for any help!!

10 replies
Goreti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Goreti Posted 10 Apr 2012 , 2:55pm
post #2 of 11

I used melted white chocolate to "glue" one of the wings on the fairies I used on my niece's cake. It held up just fine.

morgan0606 Posted 10 Apr 2012 , 3:00pm
post #3 of 11

I made two gumpaste shoes with different heel heights but I'm not sure either of them are going to work the way I want them to. If I make another one with fondant will it be as likely to crack as the gumpaste does and how many days in advance should I make a fondant shoe to allow for drying time? Today is Tuesday and I have to deliver the cake on Friday.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 10 Apr 2012 , 6:06pm
post #4 of 11

Fondant is not as strong as gumpaste. Drying time will depend on where you live (humidity conditions). I am in Alaska (very dry) and can have a shoe on a cake in 12 hours. Can you put a layer of chocolate on the underside of the shoe? That will set immediately and hold things together.

morgan0606 Posted 10 Apr 2012 , 7:00pm
post #5 of 11

I am in Louisiana so it's about as humid as it gets! If I melt white almond bark and paint a thick layer on the bottom of the shoe do you think that would work? Putting a layer of chocolate on the bottom sounds like a good idea to me but I'm wondering if almond bark would do the same thing? I've done tons of cakes with buttercream and a few with fondant but this gumpaste is brand new to me and I really appreciate the comments!

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 10 Apr 2012 , 11:39pm
post #6 of 11

Yep "almond bark" is coating chocolate. It's exactly what you need.

morgan0606 Posted 12 Apr 2012 , 3:30pm
post #7 of 11

Thank you for the comments. I'm attaching a picture of the shoe so feel free to make any constructive comments since this is the first shoe I've made and the first time I've ever used gumpaste. I think if I do another one that I will make the toe strap wider.
LL

luckylibra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luckylibra Posted 12 Apr 2012 , 6:44pm
post #8 of 11

Your shoe is amazing... can't believe it is your first? Very nice job. Hope the melted chocolate works, it sounds as though is should. Melted chocolate is like cement.. lol... love that stuff for fixing things

dawnybird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawnybird Posted 12 Apr 2012 , 7:09pm
post #9 of 11

morgan0606,
I was born and lived most of my life in Louisiana! Baton Rouge. We still live only 6 miles outside the state line. What part of the state are you in? (By the way, your shoe looks great! I've been wanting to give that a try.
Dawn

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 12 Apr 2012 , 7:15pm
post #10 of 11

Your shoe looks amazing! It has a very nice form and I like that the heel is a believable height. Way to go! thumbs_up.gif

morgan0606 Posted 13 Apr 2012 , 8:02am
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnybird

morgan0606,
I was born and lived most of my life in Louisiana! Baton Rouge. We still live only 6 miles outside the state line. What part of the state are you in? (By the way, your shoe looks great! I've been wanting to give that a try.
Dawn

Dawn,
I live in the northwest corner of the state in Sarepta. I was born and raised here and don't see moving anytime soon. I'll be in Baton Rouge and Lake Charles next weekend. Where do you live? My bigger half is from Groves, Texas which isn't far from Lake Charles. We go there often to visit his friends and family. Thank you for the kind comments about the shoe. I still have some things to learn about that process. I actually cut one of my high heels apart and covered it with plastic wrap to use as a template. I like the way it turned out by using the real shoe.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%