Share Your Response To Charity Requests ...

Business By erin2345 Updated 13 Apr 2012 , 3:19am by CakeInfatuation

erin2345 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erin2345 Posted 9 Apr 2012 , 3:24am
post #1 of 20

Anyone care to share their response to emails asking for donations etc.? I just got one from a church that I am not affiliated with, has never purchased anything from me, and the money is being raised to FIX THEIR PIANO, lol. Needless to say, not at the top of my "people who need help" list. How can I respond "no" nicely? Thanks!

19 replies
shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 9 Apr 2012 , 3:35am
post #2 of 20

How about something like "I have already chosen the charities to which I will donate, but good luck with your piano." ?

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 9 Apr 2012 , 4:27am
post #3 of 20

"I know this is a great cause and I hope you'll get many donations, but at this time we have already committed funds/ products to our chosen organizations for this year."

Denise Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Denise Posted 9 Apr 2012 , 5:39am
post #4 of 20

I do not respond to them if it has been mailed to me by someone I do not know or am not affiliated with. If they call I just say as politely as possible, "not at this time".

I have been asked to donate cakes for all kinds of fund raisers and generally I don't donate my work. I have donated one to an organization that provides health care to people on a sliding scale. I am good friends with the lady who is the office manager and her father is the director of it. It was auctioned of at their Mardi Gras fund raising ball.

Give to those who you want to support - others simply and politely decline.

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 9 Apr 2012 , 12:04pm
post #5 of 20

The above responses are simple and straightforward. You don't want to offend anyone so a short "sorry, no" as above is always best. The only time I was ever caught off-guard was when the local post office requested a donation for their Customer Appreciation week. I shook my head no when two of the postal workers (who were not customers at my bakery) came in and asked. If I was going to give away products for Customer Appreciation week, it would be to my customers.

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 9 Apr 2012 , 8:19pm
post #6 of 20

A simple "No, thank you" works very well.

mommachris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommachris Posted 9 Apr 2012 , 9:52pm
post #7 of 20

I think it's been kicked around on this sight that using "Sorry" when we really aren't sorry and nothing to apologize for is a habit we should kick as business people.

A "I'm not able to help you at this time." is sufficient.

Mommachris

Stephy42088 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stephy42088 Posted 9 Apr 2012 , 10:39pm
post #8 of 20

"we have already allocated our donations and gifts for this year (or quarter). Best of luck."

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 10 Apr 2012 , 12:20am
post #9 of 20

How about hitting "delete?" I don't have time to answer everyone who blankets the area with requests. They're probably not keeping track of who they've emailed if they have no affiliation to you.

I also don't see anything wrong with saying "I'm sorry." I am sorry if I can't do someone's cake, because it just means that they'll have to go to someone inferior, So I feel sorry for them. icon_twisted.gif

mommachris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommachris Posted 10 Apr 2012 , 3:43pm
post #10 of 20

Costumeczar...yes, they would end up with an inferior cake if you don't help them. thumbs_up.gif
I've admired your skill for years.

mommachris

costumeczar Posted 10 Apr 2012 , 4:36pm
post #11 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommachris

Costumeczar...yes, they would end up with an inferior cake if you don't help them. thumbs_up.gif
I've admired your skill for years.

mommachris

Haha!

vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 10 Apr 2012 , 5:38pm
post #12 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

How about hitting "delete?" I don't have time to answer everyone who blankets the area with requests. They're probably not keeping track of who they've emailed if they have no affiliation to you.

I also don't see anything wrong with saying "I'm sorry." I am sorry if I can't do someone's cake, because it just means that they'll have to go to someone inferior, So I feel sorry for them. icon_twisted.gif

You're such a cake-snob!
icon_lol.gif

costumeczar Posted 10 Apr 2012 , 6:21pm
post #13 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by vgcea

Quote:

You're such a cake-snob!
icon_lol.gif

I'm President of the Cake Snob Club!

happyascanbee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
happyascanbee Posted 10 Apr 2012 , 6:39pm
post #14 of 20
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

You're such a cake-snob!
icon_lol.gif

I am so with you on this.. Why is it wrong to say no ?? really !! And if you say no you are a snub ? that is shallow. Would you take a Vice President ?

jgifford Posted 10 Apr 2012 , 6:52pm
post #15 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyascanbee

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

You're such a cake-snob!
icon_lol.gif

I am so with you on this.. Why is it wrong to say no ?? really !! And if you say no you are a snub ? that is shallow. Would you take a Vice President ?

I believe she was joking.

vgcea Posted 10 Apr 2012 , 7:36pm
post #16 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgifford

I believe she was joking.

Thanks jgifford. Short of attaching an audio recording of myself laughing or including a 'joke disclaimer,' I don't know what else beside the LOL emoticon would inform folks not to get their panties in a knot.

jgifford Posted 10 Apr 2012 , 8:34pm
post #17 of 20

thumbs_up.gif

costumeczar Posted 10 Apr 2012 , 10:20pm
post #18 of 20

I knew you were joking...but the Cake Snob Club is always recruiting.

vgcea Posted 10 Apr 2012 , 11:59pm
post #19 of 20
Quote:

I knew you were joking...but the Cake Snob Club is always recruiting.

Well if I become VP, I know who I'm not letting in! Hmph!

HINT: THIS IS A JOKE
FOR GOOD MEASURE: icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

CakeInfatuation Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeInfatuation Posted 13 Apr 2012 , 3:19am
post #20 of 20

I'm with czar... I don't even respond. Just delete. I find the hardest ones to deal with are people that I know that really believe in their cause but think I should too. And when I don't, all of a sudden I am the plague... whatever....

It is hard for them to grasp that by donating a cake, it costs me 2x's what they are asking. Because I only have so much time and can only take a certain number of orders, I have to eliminate a paying order to take the free one. It's money out of my pocket for their ingredients and then lost income on the order I couldn't take. I don't even bother to explain it... but I KNOW that it wouldn't be giving with a smile unless I WANTED to do it and BELIEVED in the cause I was donating to. I HAVE donated a free cake. But it's not often.

My Dad always said, "NEVER give away for free what you do for a living." If you are in business to make a living, you have to remember that this is your livelihood. It's not a non-profit. If it is a hobby, it's different. But when it's your paycheck... well... I just hit delete.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%