13" By 9" Tray Bake Recipe? Anyone?

Baking By Nickaai Updated 11 Apr 2012 , 1:09am by Marianna46

Nickaai Posted 9 Apr 2012 , 12:16am
post #1 of 5

So I'm pretty new to the cake world and I've decided to bake a Les Paul guitar cake for my boyfriends birthday this week. I think I've got the decorating planned out but I'm looking for a recipe for my sponge. I've bought a wilton 13" by 9" tray and I'm hoping to carve the cake into a guitar shape. HOWEVER I haven't got a clue what recipe I'd use for a firm sponge of that size. Any help or tips appreciated icon_biggrin.gif thank you!

4 replies
Marianna46 Posted 9 Apr 2012 , 4:49am
post #2 of 5

The WASC (white almond sour cream) cake that's in the recipe section here is dense enough to carve and, conveniently, fills a 9 x 13 pan just about exactly. It's a doctored cake mix, but with all the extra ingredients, it has a nice firm consistency and is very versatile (use any flavor mix you want and any flavorings). My favorite version is the one called (I think) the Original WASC posted by kakeladi. It's almost all I use anymore.

auzzi Posted 9 Apr 2012 , 11:08pm
post #3 of 5

If you don't want to go the way of cake mixes, use a Victoria sponge based on 22 oz butter/ sugar/ eggs with McDougalls sponge flour [Tesco's has one also] with just under 3 oz water to mix to dropping consistency [This is based on 8x12" deeper tin which should fit a 9x13x2" wilton]

Nickaai Posted 10 Apr 2012 , 9:15pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks guys! I might go part cake mix and part my usual victoria sponge to make up the batter.

Marianna46 Posted 11 Apr 2012 , 1:09am
post #5 of 5

The Victoria sponge recipe sounds very good - it's very much like the American pound cake (a pound of this, a pound of that). These are also very sturdy and hold up to carving well. It's a denser cake than the WASC, and that might be a good idea in this case

Quote by @%username% on %date%