Thinking Of Starting A Baking Business

Business By Kaitlyn-W Updated 9 Apr 2012 , 9:00pm by imagenthatnj

Kaitlyn-W Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kaitlyn-W Posted 8 Apr 2012 , 7:35pm
post #1 of 7

Hi

I am in the UK. I particularly love cooking, particularly baking, and after some wonderful comments about a recent cake I made for a family birthday, I am considering taking orders to make cakes. Several of my colleagues have suggested this.

I am good at following a recipe, and am confident that the quality of my cake is consistent each time I make it, But I don't know if I am skilled enough.

The most advanced I have gotten yet is making sugar paste flowers. Is it just a case of practise as much as I can?

Can anyone help with the legalities of it all and other stuff that don't really matter when you make a cake for yourself, in the UK?

Thanks for any help

6 replies
writersblock15 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
writersblock15 Posted 9 Apr 2012 , 12:42am
post #2 of 7

I don't live in the UK but there are many here who do and may be able to answer your questions. Read through the posts here and you will learn plenty about the cake decorating business as a whole.

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 9 Apr 2012 , 12:55am
post #3 of 7

Welcome to the forum.

Although this thread is specific to the USA, the basic concepts will be the same anywhere in the world. The actual "baking/decorating" part comes last. The hard, no-fun business stuff comes first.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=742057&highlight=

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 9 Apr 2012 , 1:36am
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apti

The actual "baking/decorating" part comes last. The hard, no-fun business stuff comes first.

The business stuff is actually fun to some people, if you want to focus on baking and decorating my advice would be to find and hire one of these people to be your business manager.

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 9 Apr 2012 , 1:51am
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_kraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apti

The actual "baking/decorating" part comes last. The hard, no-fun business stuff comes first.

The business stuff is actually fun to some people, if you want to focus on baking and decorating my advice would be to find and hire one of these people to be your business manager.

Hear Hear!

Kaitlyn-W Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kaitlyn-W Posted 9 Apr 2012 , 2:54pm
post #6 of 7

OK. Thanks for for your help.

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 9 Apr 2012 , 9:00pm
post #7 of 7

Hi Kaitlyn-W. Just in case you don't know about it, there's a thread for UK bakers. It's very long, though, since people ask all kinds of things in that one thread sometimes.

Here's the link.

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopic-622656-0.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%