Gumpaste Fabric Flowers

Decorating By Fireflyindia Updated 10 Apr 2012 , 3:21pm by Fireflyindia

Fireflyindia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fireflyindia Posted 8 Apr 2012 , 3:22pm
post #1 of 4

Hi!

I have to make a cake similar to the one attached here. The flowers look pretty simple to make.. but tips and suggestions will be appreciated. Specially for the flower with the 'folded/pleated' look (sitting where the first and second tier meet).

Thank you!! icon_biggrin.gif
LL

3 replies
Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 9 Apr 2012 , 4:54am
post #2 of 4

My suggestion is that you make this particular flower with fondant (plus a little CMC) instead of gumpaste to get it to fall like fabric. Roll out a long strip of fondant (use a pasta machine, if you have one, so that the thickness will be as uniform as possible). Cut the strip to an even width and start gathering it along the bottom edge, just as you would if you were really making a fabric flower. Stick it together with either a little water or some CMC glue. Keep gathering and rolling till it's the size you want it. If you need to add some to the strip of fondant, cut another one and make the join in the middle of a fold so you can't see it. HTH!

ladij153 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladij153 Posted 9 Apr 2012 , 7:22pm
post #3 of 4

Hello Fireflyindia

The lady who made those flowers has a tutorial on her facebook page...https://www.facebook.com/notes/sophie-bifield-cake-company/how-to-make-a-ruffled-gumpaste-flower/364943683532727...she shows how to make the simpler one but perhaps it will help you figure out the pleated one...if you do will you post how you did it as well as your finished cake? I really liked that one too...

Fireflyindia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fireflyindia Posted 10 Apr 2012 , 3:21pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks for replying guys!

Marianna : i was talking about the flower to the right of the one you gave me instructions for.. its has like these sharp geometrical folds.. i cant help but think that my fondant+tylose will crack when i make such sharp folds.

Ladij: thanks for the link.. iv seen the tutorial before.. its given me a fair idea of how to go about a few of the simpler flowers. and i will definitely post a picture of the cake.. and the flower if i manage to make it properly.

thank you again! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%