Electric Bill

Business By KuyaRomeo Updated 9 Apr 2012 , 6:17pm by KoryAK

KuyaRomeo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KuyaRomeo Posted 8 Apr 2012 , 1:44pm
post #1 of 8

We are outgrowing our current shared location quickly, and are beginning to start the process of looking at leasing our own space. We are looking for something that has a kitchen and sll walk in freezer already, so maybe a former small restaurant in a strip mall, etc.

We are not planning on having a retail front, as most of our orders are wholesale, and online.

Our, current shared rent includes all of our utilities. So we have never had to cost out electric as a separate bill. We are now trying to estimate new costs of leasing our own space.

Yes, I understand there are too many factors to give a true estimate, but any ball park ideas would help us

We will mainly be using:

Floor mixer
Walk in freezer
Elec oven

Looking for something about the size of a small restaurant/pizza shop you normally see in strip mall

For those, willing to share their electric bill, and the size of their pace, freezer, etc... It would be greatly appreciated.

7 replies
LoveMeSomeCake615 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 8 Apr 2012 , 9:25pm
post #2 of 8

Ours is about $300/mo. so far. We just opened about a month ago, so not sure if it will change, but it should be about the same. We are a retail storefront, 1300 sf, we use a commercial oven (which is on most of the day) and sometimes a smaller residential style oven, a 3 door cooler, a small refrigerator, and two bakery cases for the front.
HTH!

KuyaRomeo Posted 9 Apr 2012 , 3:39am
post #3 of 8

Thank you!! This helps out a lot, in giving us a starting point.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 9 Apr 2012 , 3:55am
post #4 of 8

2000 sq ft store front with a large walk in fridge (200 sq ft?), three freezers (think home sized fridge but all freezer), and two home style fridges. Electric bill is $449/month - I have a level-pay plan so it won't vary over the year.

KuyaRomeo Posted 9 Apr 2012 , 4:03am
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoryAK

2000 sq ft store front with a large walk in fridge (200 sq ft?), three freezers (think home sized fridge but all freezer), and two home style fridges. Electric bill is $449/month - I have a level-pay plan so it won't vary over the year.

Thank you!! I was reading some horror stories . . seeing some pizza parlors were claiming several thousand dollars per month in elec bills . . was wondering how much different we could be than a pizza shop, in that we run ovens all day, and freezers . . . as well as AC in summer . . etc. So, the postings here have been good news, so far icon_smile.gif

Several hundred per month is to be expected. Several thousand a monty seemed outrageous.

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 9 Apr 2012 , 4:17am
post #6 of 8

I know here in Texas (residential), we can call and get a 12 month history of power usage. If the basic appliances are in place, I suppose the usage should be similar. That may be an even more direct estimate.

KuyaRomeo Posted 9 Apr 2012 , 4:25am
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnson6ofus

I know here in Texas (residential), we can call and get a 12 month history of power usage. If the basic appliances are in place, I suppose the usage should be similar. That may be an even more direct estimate.

That is a great point/idea, we had not thought of. Right now, we don't have a specific location in mind . . we are just crunching the numbers and seeing what our cost estimates are and where we need to be in sales, to ensure that moving to a larger location is actually a "smart" idea . . .

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 9 Apr 2012 , 6:17pm
post #8 of 8

And I did forget to post - yes, PIZZA PLACES are very good to turn into bakeries. That's what I did and I have to put very little additional equipment in. Also the use is different enough that you may be able to be successful in that location even if the previous business was not (as opposed to those corners you see where it's a new name of the same type of business every 6 months)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%