How Much Would You Discount And Fruit Serving Ideas?

Decorating By fcakes Updated 11 Apr 2012 , 12:13pm by DDiva

fcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fcakes Posted 7 Apr 2012 , 7:43pm
post #1 of 11

I have an inquiry for 375 wedding cupcakes. Half are filled and half unfilled. I charge $25/dozen for plain and $30/dozen for filled cupcakes. The bride also wants a chocolate-covered strawberry on each cupcake, to get a serving of cake and fruit for her guests, so at the rate of $2 each, the total for the order comes out to $1609.50.

Plus she wants a cutting cake too, so that will be $3/serving for about 20 servings.

She said that rate is out of her budget so she needs ideas on cutting down. I would say, the choc-covered strawberries should go.... then the price will come down to $859.50 plus $60-$70 for the cutting cake.

If I give her a discount, is 10% good? Or should I do a small cutting cake for free? What ideas can I give her to serve fruit in a way that is not too expensive?

Any other ideas to reduce the price, apart from reducing the number of cupcakes? Thanks so much for the help!! icon_smile.gif

10 replies
karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 7 Apr 2012 , 7:52pm
post #2 of 11

If you give a discount, give whatever YOU feel is appropriate/affordable for you.

My first thought would be to go with unfilled cupcakes and no strawberries. She has to make choices as to what is most important to her, so she may not be able to afford both fruit and cake.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 7 Apr 2012 , 8:17pm
post #3 of 11

0% discount. You can present different options to the customer (including the most basic option with only unfilled cupcakes) but if the lowest option at ~$900 or so is out of the customer's budget you are better off referring them to Costco or Walmart.

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 7 Apr 2012 , 9:42pm
post #4 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_kraft

0% discount. You can present different options to the customer (including the most basic option with only unfilled cupcakes) but if the lowest option at ~$900 or so is out of the customer's budget you are better off referring them to Costco or Walmart.

This.

When something is out of budget, the customer needs to reduce what they are asking for (i.e. no strawberries, no filling), not receive a discount. your costs and work are the same no matter what her budget is.

fcakes Posted 7 Apr 2012 , 10:56pm
post #5 of 11

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!! I guess unfilled cupcakes and no fruit will be the way to go... thanks so much!

denetteb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denetteb Posted 8 Apr 2012 , 3:31am
post #6 of 11

Beyond unfilled and no fruit, if she still needs to cut her budget, she can always cut a few dozen guests. Her lack of budgeting does not mean you should give her a discount just cause she wants one. She can ask of course, but why agree to it?

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 8 Apr 2012 , 6:11am
post #7 of 11

I agree with denetteb. Anyone who invites 350 people should have done some planning. She's going to get 350 presents, so she needs to find the cash. It's not your problem. The price is the price.

I discount only if the client purchases a buffet and the discount is usually the rental fee on the serveware. Also, if the cupcakes are my biggest seller and the ones I provide the most of weekly to my retail location, the bride can piggyback on that order for a small discount. I'm already making them in bulk and it's easier than switching flavors.

fcakes Posted 11 Apr 2012 , 3:47am
post #8 of 11

Thanks... agree with you guys... I sure won't change my pricing to accommodate her budget! I am meeting with her soon so we'll discuss things and see what she decides icon_smile.gif

denetteb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denetteb Posted 11 Apr 2012 , 11:39am
post #9 of 11

Good for you, stick to your prices. And if she really wants fruit at a better price, have her talk with the caterer about adding a fruit salad or something.

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 11 Apr 2012 , 11:55am
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by denetteb

And if she really wants fruit at a better price, have her talk with the caterer about adding a fruit salad or something.

Great idea! Let's see how fast the caterer will discount adding another item to the menu.

DDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DDiva Posted 11 Apr 2012 , 12:13pm
post #11 of 11

I agree with everyone who said no discount. When we discount we're basically telling the customer that we overcharged. SHE invited 350 people. Your price is what you charge to feed them. The end.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%