Warding Off Disaster......help!!

Decorating By Vexys Updated 9 Apr 2012 , 12:32pm by Vexys

Vexys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Vexys Posted 7 Apr 2012 , 1:58pm
post #1 of 6

My second fridge went out! I don't have room for my 3 tier topsy turvy I'm making for tomorrow in my other one and it's got to stay cold. I'm using mousse to fill and if that stays out it ends up a nice runny puddle so we all know what that'll do to a cake!

I have freezer room but other than flash freezing I don't know how to handle that really.

So what do I do? What would you do? Change to buttercream? or fridge the tiers unassembled and put them together tomorrow? or just do everything ahead today and totally assemble tomorrow with hopefully no time crunch or jeeze... I'm stuck.

I don't know how to handle this one at all and I can't have a disaster on my hands.

If anyone has any ideas... I'd really appreciate them!

5 replies
Spuddysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spuddysmom Posted 7 Apr 2012 , 2:15pm
post #2 of 6

What are you more comfortable with, switching the filling to a buttercream so that you can have it competed a day ahead and left out or prepping as much as you can today then assemble last minute? I would think this would depend on your experience. Couldn't see photos, don't know how long you have been doing cakes, my two cents: if you're a newbie, make the thing the day before - if you're more of an old pro, assemble it tomorrow.

Vexys Posted 7 Apr 2012 , 10:02pm
post #3 of 6

Thanks Spuddysmom!

It's my 2nd topsy turvy cake and I've done a bunch of stacked cakes prior to this so I felt pretty safe going in. Mousse was a little thinner than it usually is so I used less between the layers of cake and I've got it freezing until they're solid!

I was able to shuffle the fridge around enough that I'll be able to fit the cake. So hopefully that's the last of my worries with this one. Promise pictures when I get it done!

Spuddysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spuddysmom Posted 7 Apr 2012 , 10:29pm
post #4 of 6

icon_smile.gif Aren't you grateful that you developed such great fridge stuffing...er.."shuffling" skills? Glad it is working out for you.

Vexys Posted 8 Apr 2012 , 12:41am
post #5 of 6

Yes, yes I am! And glad I decided to go ahead and just finish the beast instead of waiting on tomorrow... I ran out of buttercream! And was out of butter so I had to go get more.

But it's done. Kitchen was cluttered so I didn't get a pic set yet. Might re-wrap it before I transport and will snap some then. What an exhausting day but ever so worth it!!!

Vexys Posted 9 Apr 2012 , 12:32pm
post #6 of 6

Wish it went over better. Family holidays... what can I say.

My mousse fillings were perfect.... cake was really good also. And the bonus is my daughters had a blast decorating and learning how to work with the buttercream/spatula/cake stand combo....and seeing that it's not so easy! And it was a great bunch of hours in the kitchen with my girls =) And I'm still batting a thousand in the stack department! Figured if one was going to lean it'd be the first topsy and it was fine.

Had a bump and slight slide in the van (darn hills) so lost some buttercream on the 2nd & 3rd tiers and had a slight dent in the top. Next time I'm covering in fondant period...don't care what anyone says. People can just pick it off for all I care!! Or people will deal with me at their house super early to decorate ahead of a holiday. Just glad I went a little overboard with the saran wrap otherwise we'd have had a buttercreamed party dress with my daughter watching the cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%