Pricing For A Cake Not Highly Decorated

Decorating By Alwayzmakincake Updated 7 Apr 2012 , 9:26pm by kakeladi

Alwayzmakincake Posted 7 Apr 2012 , 11:04am
post #1 of 6

So I'm making a cake for my hairdresser. It's going to be her bday and she asked if I would make her an 8-inch cake with "not-so-sweet" icing with strawberries on top.

I feel bad charging because I like her and it's her bday, but she charges me for haircuts, right? Anyway, I usually charge $1.50 per serving for buttercream. (I decided to go with IMBC, because it's not as sweet). Well I quoted her $37. And the more I think about it, the worse I feel. I just feel like it sounds like a lot for a cake that I'm not spending that much time on. It will cost me about $18 with the strawberries, board and box when I'm done though.

What do you all think?

5 replies
leah_s Posted 7 Apr 2012 , 11:28am
post #2 of 6

I get $35 for a 6" and $55 for an 8". I only do rounds. These are the basic birthday/anniversary cake. 5 roses, message, border, board and box.

Alwayzmakincake Posted 7 Apr 2012 , 11:52am
post #3 of 6

Really? I wish I could get past feeling bad for charging! icon_redface.gif

I guess I feel like the cake is worth it to me, but I think my hairdresser must think I'm crazy. Then I think of what I pay for a haircut and it's less than the cake!!

So I should just charge what I'm worth, and if someone doesn't like it, they can go to the grocery store, right?

Nancy_TX Posted 7 Apr 2012 , 1:23pm
post #4 of 6

If you're really having trouble charging her for the cake, and you pay more for a haircut than what you're planning to charge (not sure if that's what you meant or not), trade her a hair cut instead. Or however many haircuts it would take to equal what you want to charge. Win for both of you.

And then as you're sitting there, spending your whole day making and decorating this "simple" cake, after you spent $18 on ingredients, thinking about how it's going to take her maybe 20 minutes to cut your hair and $0.75 for the squirt of shampoo and gallon of water to wash your hair, I'll bet you start reconsidering your pricing for simple cakes... You're paying her for her skill and time. Others should be paying you for your skill, time, and ingredients.

LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 7 Apr 2012 , 8:19pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alwayzmakincake

So I should just charge what I'm worth, and if someone doesn't like it, they can go to the grocery store, right?

Yes. icon_biggrin.gif

kakeladi Posted 7 Apr 2012 , 9:26pm
post #6 of 6

....... You're paying her for her skill and time. Others should be paying you for your skill, time, and ingredients. .....

Very definately. You *MUST* get over your not wanting to charge. NO ONE gives YOU their talent/skill for free!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%