Does Anyone Know How This Is Done?

Decorating By tokazodo Updated 6 Apr 2012 , 9:13am by tokazodo

tokazodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tokazodo Posted 6 Apr 2012 , 2:40am
post #1 of 5

this is a picture a bride brought to me, and I have no idea how this cake was finished. It looks like it could be butter cream, but I'm not certain. Does anyone know how to do the technique on the sides of the cake?

Any help would be deeply appreciated!
LL

4 replies
MarianInFL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MarianInFL Posted 6 Apr 2012 , 2:51am
post #2 of 5

I've seen similar cakes on this website. Maybe you could search for bark and send a PM.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 6 Apr 2012 , 4:18am
post #3 of 5

There was a previous thread (maybe a month ago?) with this same cake picture. I don't remember what the result was, but maybe they found out and you can find the thread. I remember the cake because I said I thought it looked like wounds... so maybe you can search my name and posts that contain "wound" and find it that way! icon_smile.gif

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 6 Apr 2012 , 6:53am
post #4 of 5

If I had to try and replicate that cake I would cover it with brown buttercream, refrigerate, then cover very, very lightly with off-white buttercream. You could build up the brown buttercream for the "knots" and smooth some white over the "knots" lightly with your finger.

Then, after refrigerating again, I'd use a rough toothpick to "gouge" out the bark lines. You could make the "puffy" look by digging the toothpick slightly sideways under the gouged line to make it "puff out". (Similar to what you do when making nostrils on a gumpaste face.)

Does that make sense the way I tried to explain it?

tokazodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tokazodo Posted 6 Apr 2012 , 9:13am
post #5 of 5

Apti, i totally makes sense what you are saying. My initial thought is that it is butter cream. I think it is the colors that are throwing me off. I am wondering if there is a base coat of black underneath so that it looks like the scaring on a birch tree. I will search the forums and see what i can find.
Thanks, all!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%