Baking By Kimzie Updated 5 Apr 2012 , 2:34pm by FullHouse

Kimzie Posted 5 Apr 2012 , 1:54pm
post #1 of 5

I'm trying to make an element for my cake out of RKT and my RKT just falls apart? I'm trying to cut out a template, but the RKT just won't hold....If someone could please help me I'd be so grateful! how do I make it work? Need cake for Saturday...

4 replies
jgifford Posted 5 Apr 2012 , 2:08pm
post #2 of 5

Add some melted chocolate to it. thumbs_up.gif

FullHouse Posted 5 Apr 2012 , 2:15pm
post #3 of 5

Make your RKT denser. I use the recipe on the box, but omit the butter and crush the Rice Crispies (after measuring) so I can pack them together more closely. I just did a turret for a castle, about 6" high and 2" wide, held up fine (with a poly dowel through the center). Also, once it is sculpted, if it seems soft, you can coat the outside with melted candy melts to give it extra strength.

There are quite a few threads on this in the forums, if you do a search you will come up with lots of info.

Kimzie Posted 5 Apr 2012 , 2:29pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks for the great tips! However, I'm kinda stuck as I'm making this cake as we speak, and I can't run out to get chocolate melts. So I was wondering, could I pour royal icing over the sculpture and let it sit to harden? would that help to hold it together?

FullHouse Posted 5 Apr 2012 , 2:34pm
post #5 of 5

I've never tried RI over RKT. Do you have chocolate chips and cream? You could make a pourable ganache, that will help it set.

Quote by @%username% on %date%