How Do I Bake For This 3" Pan? Baking Thursday!!!

Baking By KayMc Updated 5 Apr 2012 , 12:01pm by KayMc

KayMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 5 Apr 2012 , 1:04am
post #1 of 4

I am planning on making the WASC tomorrow in a 12" round pan that is 3" deep. The charts I can find for pans do not include 3" figures.

What I need to know is how much batter do I need for this? And, how do I bake it? I have the heating core for the center, and the baking strips for the outside.

Thank you so much!....Kay

3 replies
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 5 Apr 2012 , 5:21am
post #3 of 4

I have not found that those charts are the amounts I want.

I rely on math. I find the are of my usual recipe pan and then the area of my pan I wanto use and find the additional percentage of batter. If both pans are the same depth or the cakes shoud be my regular deepth, that is all I need. If the original pan is 2" and the one I want to use is 3", I add 50% to the total.

So pi r(squared) for both. Then get the % increase (or decrease for smaller cakes). To up depth, multiply that number by 1.5

Forgot to give how to change the recipe. I personally look at the final number and increase the recipe by what I need, either full multiples or fulls and a 50%. Let's say you need 2.37 x the amount. I do the recipe at 2.5 x and stop a little short of using all of the batter. then you can level it to the correct height if you are off a little.

KayMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 5 Apr 2012 , 12:01pm
post #4 of 4

Thank you both. I haven't decorated a cake in about 6 months, so am now stressing. Thanks again.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%