Standing At The Front Door In Tears

Lounge By karateka Updated 29 Apr 2012 , 11:03am by bobhope

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 4 Apr 2012 , 8:57pm
post #1 of 10

watching my 16 yr old back out of the driveway for the first time without me by his side! I was so excited when he passed his test but now am TERRIFIED of him not making it home tonight!

It was yesterday when I spied on him pulling himself up to a standing position for the first time....he was shorter than the dining room table. Now he's pushing 6 ft and driving by himself.

I am so OLD. icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

9 replies
Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 4 Apr 2012 , 9:02pm
post #2 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by karateka

watching my 16 yr old back out of the driveway for the first time without me by his side! I was so excited when he passed his test but now am TERRIFIED of him not making it home tonight!

It was yesterday when I spied on him pulling himself up to a standing position for the first time....he was shorter than the dining room table. Now he's pushing 6 ft and driving by himself.

I am so OLD. icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

I feel your pain and I'm sending you a big hug...my oldest just turned 30 and I don't know how that happened agggghhh.
Hang in there my friend...it only gets better thumbs_up.gif no kidding! icon_smile.gif

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 4 Apr 2012 , 9:03pm
post #3 of 10

Oh, Mom, I know how you feel! You won't be able to breathe again until he's back safe at home.

It seems like just yesterday I was watching my little guy roll across the driveway in an old water barrel - - now he's been in the Navy almost a full year! Where does the time go?

All you can do is do your best to prepare them and teach them and then let them go and try their wings. Just pray God's protection around him and have faith that he'll be all right. thumbs_up.gif

ANDaniels Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ANDaniels Posted 4 Apr 2012 , 9:42pm
post #4 of 10

This makes my heart ache as my lil prince is just taking his first steps. Time goes too fast! I don't want him to grow up!! Same goes for my 2 year old daughter!!

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 11 Apr 2012 , 8:24am
post #5 of 10

Motherhood - so full of joyful and heart wrenching moments...
I know how you feel - albeit some years ago now..
My DS drove out of the driveway on his Motor Bike - i remember walking inside begging Mother Nature to bring him safely back to me.

3 Hours later he returned - beaming smile from ear to ear -
All i could do was make an excuse about how my new perfume was making my eyes water - *cough*........ as i wiped the happy tears from my eyes.

It's the invisiable strings attached to our chlden that when tugged - make us icon_biggrin.gif - icon_cry.gif - icon_rolleyes.gif or icon_confused.gif .................. twice he has made me icon_eek.gif

Hugs him big tonight............... for no reason except that he drove back up the driveway... back home safe.

Bluehue

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 11 Apr 2012 , 5:44pm
post #6 of 10

Sadly, it doesn't get any easier! My twins are now pushing 24, and I still worry about them when they leave the house at night, saying a prayer that God returns them to me safely! They're looking for a house together, so I know my time with them is short. I'm definitely not looking forward to being an empty nester!

Amberwaves Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amberwaves Posted 11 Apr 2012 , 6:04pm
post #7 of 10

I hear you--my 21 year old daughter is finishing Coast Guard boot camp and in 2 weeks we will go see her graduate, then watch her move across the country to her new station for 3 years WITHOUT US! I pray for her protection and that she will be happy with her new life, but it is NOT easy.

cakelady2266 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady2266 Posted 13 Apr 2012 , 2:27am
post #8 of 10

It is a helpless scary feeling when they drive off and you are standing there wondering what to do with yourself. Will he be all right? Will he know what to do without me there? Why is it taking so damn long for time to pass til he gets back?

It flies by so quick. My oldest will be graduating high school in 6 weeks. I've spent most of his senior year crying. It really seems like only yesterday he was toddling along behind me. Now he rest his chin on the top on my head every chance he gets.

mommachris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommachris Posted 22 Apr 2012 , 6:21am
post #9 of 10

I'm so in your boat. My oldest son just turned 18...my oldest daughter is graduating nursing school next month and she's 21.
How can she be 21??
I'm only 35. icon_wink.gif

mommachris

bobhope Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobhope Posted 29 Apr 2012 , 11:03am
post #10 of 10

oh i soo can relate.. seems just like yesterday when my daughter said after picking her up from school "look mom I can read already" & now she just turned 18 last September, & we threw her a big party.. why time flies so fast!!..what's the hurry??? icon_cry.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%