Mmf...why Am I The Only One???

Baking By prettycupcake Updated 19 Apr 2012 , 4:26pm by akaivyleaf

prettycupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prettycupcake Posted 4 Apr 2012 , 6:09pm
post #1 of 21

Hi everyone, I recently lost my job so needless to say i cannot afford the asking price for the Satin Ice fondant. I've tried MMF from a recipe on this site and it just sticks to everything and doesn't stretch...IDK what on earth Im doing wrong and I am desperate for a GOOD recipe and any advice on MMF. I don't want to quit making cakes because I cant afford the name brand fondant. Please help! icon_cry.gif

~Heidi~

20 replies
jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 4 Apr 2012 , 6:18pm
post #2 of 21

You're not alone - - when I try to make mmf, my kitchen looks like a marshmallow factory exploded. For some reason, that's one thing I just can't get under control.

I cover my cakes with modeling chocolate that I make myself. It tastes better than fondant and it's a lot cheaper, too. Use 1 package of almond bark (white or chocolate) and 2/3 cup of corn syrup. Melt the almond bark in the microwave slowly, 30 seconds at a time so you don't cook it. Add any coloring you want to the corn syrup and mix with the melted almond bark. Pour it out onto waxed paper. When it's cool enough to handle, knead as much oil out of it as you can. This makes a mess and uses a lot of paper towels, but it will work much better. Then let it rest overnight. You may need to microwave it a few seconds to soften it up when you get ready to use it.

You can use candy melts if you don't want to add color. I use candy melts for red especially - - usually 2 pkgs to 2/3 cup of corn syrup. HTH

inspiredbymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
inspiredbymom Posted 4 Apr 2012 , 6:26pm
post #3 of 21

I have never made MMF (I've tried to make regular fondant and will not do it again!) so I can not help you with that. However, have you tried other fondants? I have tried Wilton, Satin Ice and another one that I have even forgotten.....Now if I have someone who wants regular fondant (not the yummy chocolate fondant) I use Ice & Easy. It tastes great and it a lot less. We only use Wilton for figurines and letter cutouts. Every person who tried the Satin Ice (except the chocolate, it was great!) said that it had a chemical taste, so I had to stop using it. It's the only one we keep as inventory now too.

Moovaughan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Moovaughan Posted 4 Apr 2012 , 6:41pm
post #4 of 21

I still spend less than $6 a batch.

This is the recipie I use and it makes up great everytime.
FIRST:
1 plastic bowl to melt 15oz of mini marshmallows (grease your whole bowl)
1 wood spoon (grease the spoon)
15oz mini marshmallows
2 tbls water

Don't forget to cover everything in a thin layer of shortening!
Zap marshmallows and water in 30 second intervals until all good and melty

SECOND:
2 tsps vanilla extract (or princess extract yummy but only use 1tsp!)
1 tsp butter extract
1 tsp lemon extract
2 tbls karo syrup
2 tsp lemon juice
pinch of salt

Mix all that into your melty marshmallows

THREE:
Standing Mixer (grease whole bowl)
Bread hook attachment (grease whole hook)
2 lbs powder sugar

Pour your melty marshmallow mixture into the mixing bowl and turn on your mixer to low....... slowly add your powder sugar, not all at once! When you've added most of your powder sugar turn mixer off and give the fondant a little poke, since you've worked with Satin Ice before you know how fondant should feel... for those who don't, it should have a paydough consistancy, if it's still sticky continue to add in a little more powder sugar until it feels right.

Grease your hands and take the fondant out and immediately put it in a zip lock back to rest a couple of hours or overnight. Note: even though you have greased well you are still gonna have some stick to the bowl, but it is minimal.

After it has rested, grease your hands and take out what you need and knead it. I have'nt had any problems with stretchyness

HootersAlicia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HootersAlicia Posted 4 Apr 2012 , 6:53pm
post #5 of 21

The first couple of times I made marshmallow fondant it was great, then I went through a patch where it was impossible to stretch and didn't work at all. Then I realized they'd made the bags of marshmallows smaller and I hadn't noticed. If you have problems with stickiness, try using corn starch instead of powdered sugar for rolling it out.

Allie06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Allie06 Posted 4 Apr 2012 , 7:16pm
post #6 of 21

I went through a serious MMF issue recently and switched recipes...the exact recipe that was given to you OP, use it! I love it! And I've used Satin Ice, Wilton, FondX, and really with a good recipe, I feel like you are getting the same quality. Another tip I read recently...make sure not to over heat the mallows.

prettycupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prettycupcake Posted 4 Apr 2012 , 8:41pm
post #7 of 21

WOW!!!!!! Thank you all so much! I cant tell you how much you all helped me...I REALY do appreciate every response and I will be sure to try all suggestions..

Heidi

KarenOR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KarenOR Posted 5 Apr 2012 , 12:49am
post #8 of 21

I've been making the one that has corn syrup and lemon juice. I think it's Rhonda's. I haven't had any problem with it. Of course, I've never used store bought, so I don't know how it stretches vs. the store bought one.

vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 10 Apr 2012 , 10:36pm
post #9 of 21

Has anyone tried adding glycerin to Rhonda's MMF? I've used it twice and it works great but I wish it would be a tad 'stretchier.' I'm thinking of adding 1-2 tsp glycerin when I add the corn syrup and other liquids.

dchinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchinda Posted 10 Apr 2012 , 10:54pm
post #10 of 21

I used to use MMF for all my cakes but sometimes it would come out really soft & I would have so many problems. I followed the same recipe every time but randomly I would have problems. I decided to try MFF, Michelle Fosters Fondant & I LOVE IT!! I have never had any problems & I think it tastes better because it just melts in your mouth & isn't chewy like MMF. It's also easy to just add tylose to it to make figures & other decorations you want to dry faster.

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 10 Apr 2012 , 10:57pm
post #11 of 21

My favorite is Michele Foster's fondant, known affectionately (and confusingly) as MFF. There are two or three variants in the recipe section here, and they're all good. It has the advantage of not starting with marshmallows (although fondant has basically the same ingredients as marshmallows with a lot of powdered sugar thrown in), so you don't have to worry about what the marshmallows are going to do. I don't make home-made very often, but this one has never failed me when I do have to use it.

vgcea Posted 10 Apr 2012 , 11:01pm
post #12 of 21

I made MFF, I'm yet to use it but it seemed very soft to me when I kneaded it. I was thinking I could reach a happy medium between MMF and MFF by adding glycerin to MMF since it seems the glycerin in MFF makes it stretchy.

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 11 Apr 2012 , 12:59am
post #13 of 21

Or you could do what I do when my fondant seems too soft: I add some more powdered sugar and about a tablespoon of shortening to each pound of fondant. The PS makes it stiffer and the shortening seems to keep that amount of powdered sugar from drying the fondant out (I guess - it's the only explanation I've come up with, but whatever the reason is, it works like a charm),

vgcea Posted 11 Apr 2012 , 5:33am
post #14 of 21

thank you Marianna46!

judcreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
judcreations Posted 11 Apr 2012 , 8:33am
post #15 of 21

I too have tried making MMF at home, keep trying diff recipes but the fondant does not really come out well, it tears easily, is creamish in colour & rolling it out is such a pain, it does not roll out neat like the readymade one........can someone pls help....thanks

wonkycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wonkycakes Posted 11 Apr 2012 , 9:04am
post #16 of 21

I've never had a problem with my MMF and I use it exclusively to cover fondant cakes. This is the recipe I use:
1lb marshmallows + 3tblsps water (+flavouring)
2lbs powdered sugar
3oz shortening at room temperature

heat marshmallows and water in microwave at 30-45 sec intervals until just melted. They might still hold their shape, but when you stir them they will turn into goo.

Sift the powdered sugar into a large mixing bowl and add the shortening. Add the marshmallow goo and using the hook attachment on your mixer stir on a low setting until sugar starts to combined with marshmallows. You can add food colouring at this point if you like. Increase speed slightly and mix until it has the consistency of soft fondant. Turn out on to your work surface which has been lightly dusted with powdered sugar and knead (with greased hands!) until smooth. Double wrap in cling film, put in a ziplock bag and let cure in a cool place (not the fridge) overnight.

Too much shortening and it will lose it's stretchiness and get hard to work with. With this method there is no need to grease all the utensils. If you accidentally add too much sugar, try adding some glycerin to reduce cracking. GO EASY on the SHORTENING!!!

Hope this helps!

judcreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
judcreations Posted 12 Apr 2012 , 1:02pm
post #17 of 21

thanks will try & let u know how it works....have a great day

wafawafa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wafawafa Posted 19 Apr 2012 , 7:28am
post #18 of 21

Bad experience with mlf always so I switched to buy readymade

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 19 Apr 2012 , 11:07am
post #19 of 21

I invented some new cuss words the other night working with MMF. I used it for accent decorations as opposed to covering a cake with it. I cut out some blossoms, which went ok, but then I tried to use my Tappits and all hell broke loose. The MMF was sticky AND crumbly. it wouldn't come out of the Tappits and then it would just break apart. But it was sticky too, so that was interesting. I just broke out the old Wilton for the letters. Never again!

conchita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
conchita Posted 19 Apr 2012 , 2:08pm
post #20 of 21

I never have problems with MMF but I did notice that when I buy the Kraft brand it never comes out. And when I use the store brand like walmart's it comes out perfect. There was a post that this was happening to a few people, I also add lemon and glycerin to my recipe and this helps a lot. Good luck and let us know the final result.

akaivyleaf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
akaivyleaf Posted 19 Apr 2012 , 4:26pm
post #21 of 21

I'm going to go to another angle. If you like using a product that you buy, then the cost to the customer must reflect your ingredient costs. Long story short, raise your rates icon_smile.gif

I have good days and bad with making MMF, I always keep "store bought" on hand in case its a bad day. One day I'll perfect it though, I'm determined that way icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%