Gelatin Butterflies

Decorating By pag41989 Updated 4 Apr 2012 , 10:05pm by LaWmn223

pag41989 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pag41989 Posted 4 Apr 2012 , 12:26pm
post #1 of 4

Hey everyone! I feel like I have not been on here in forever. icon_smile.gif I just went to a cake competition where I didn't place but it was so much fun and luckily we got to collect the judging sheets afterwards so I know what to fix for next year. I think for next year I want to do a smaller cleaner cake with more little details on it. The theme for next year is fairies and butterflies and I was thinking about making gelatin butterflies. I was wondering if there is anyway to make the butterflies multi colored without it looking like a total mess. Also how far ahead of time can I make these and do they travel well? I live in hot humid Florida so I worry about what the humidity will do to them. Also here is a picture of my cake if you would like to offer tips for what I can do to improve icon_smile.gif

3 replies
shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 4 Apr 2012 , 3:22pm
post #2 of 4

I think your cake is beautiful......maybe you could do not quite so many different kinds of decorations on one cake.

Please see this:
http://cakecentral.com/tutorial/gelatin-royal-icing-butterfly
You could put different colors of gelatin in the individual open spaces.

LaWmn223 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaWmn223 Posted 4 Apr 2012 , 9:57pm
post #3 of 4

I live on the gulf coast so I know all about humidity and I still have some of the gelatin pieces I have made...my Mom is determined to keep the dragonfly I made as a topper to her cake.....it has been a year. I still have some leftover gelatin balls I made over a year ago that are on different cakes in my photos.I have kept mine in a bowl on a shelf in a closed pantry with no problems....They are not sticky or soft...I do have AC but still the humidity does not seem to do anything...but if you get them wet, no matter how dry they seem they will dissolve.

LaWmn223 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaWmn223 Posted 4 Apr 2012 , 10:05pm
post #4 of 4

I think your cake is wonderful...you did some great techniques thumbs_up.gif and I forgot to say that the dragonfly is in my pics on the koi cake...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%