I Need Help With Facebook Page

Business By karukaru Updated 15 Apr 2012 , 5:44am by SRumzis

karukaru Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karukaru Posted 3 Apr 2012 , 8:27pm
post #1 of 17

Hi everyone!
I just started selling cakes (they passed the cottage food law last year) so I decided to create a facebook page since I do not have a storefront or website. Right now I only have pictures and I have gotten requests from friends of friends, some of which have no idea of how much do custom cakes cost, so I am thinking about posting my prices on the website. I just don't want to go through the hassle of providing a quote, after talking to them a few times, and then have them tell me that "my competitors," AKA Publix (grocery store,) Costco, etc. are cheaper. I figured that it is better if they know my starting price so that I only get requests from people that can afford it.
Also, I would love it if you share your Facebook page with me so that I can get an idea of how to organize mine, Thanks so much!

16 replies
lorieleann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorieleann Posted 3 Apr 2012 , 9:16pm
post #2 of 17

I went from having a blog with cakes that friends enjoyed looking at to having a business Facebook page. I do list flavors and prices in my info tab, and i do have a page on my website with 'pricing starts at' for sizes, party cakes and wedding cakes. I really didn't want to get into quoting and quoting and waiting and not hearing back if a custom cake didn't fit into someone's budget.

It has always been a pet peeve of mine for businesses not to at least have a ball park or minimum price for a product. As a customer I also want to know if I can afford something before I invest the time into planning and getting more information. I have some big picture window in our living room that i wanted to get a price on to replace with a low-e windows. I have no idea how much this would cost and i had to make an appointment to have a sales man come to my house, just to get a price. It would have saved me a lot of trouble knowing that each window from that company would cost way more than I could spend now.

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 3 Apr 2012 , 9:20pm
post #3 of 17

The price depends on many factors: what the ingredients cost, what special items are wanted (e.g., fondant figures, gumpaste flowers); what your overhead costs are (electricity, cake board, etc.); what you are paying yourself per hour; profit.

When someone contacts you about making a cake, the first question you ask them should be "What is your budget?" Then, depending if they say $30.00 or $200.00, you know what to tell them.

The grocery stores and Costco should not be considered your competition. They buy generic icing and cake mix in huge amounts. Or the cakes arrive from the warehouse frozen and all they do is ice. You make your cakes by hand and provide special designs. You buy fresh ingredients and therefore cannot get the discounted prices that those places get when they buy in bulk.

Good luck.

karukaru Posted 4 Apr 2012 , 2:38am
post #4 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanter

The price depends on many factors: what the ingredients cost, what special items are wanted (e.g., fondant figures, gumpaste flowers); what your overhead costs are (electricity, cake board, etc.); what you are paying yourself per hour; profit.

When someone contacts you about making a cake, the first question you ask them should be "What is your budget?" Then, depending if they say $30.00 or $200.00, you know what to tell them.

The grocery stores and Costco should not be considered your competition. They buy generic icing and cake mix in huge amounts. Or the cakes arrive from the warehouse frozen and all they do is ice. You make your cakes by hand and provide special designs. You buy fresh ingredients and therefore cannot get the discounted prices that those places get when they buy in bulk.

Good luck.

I know, I just roll my eyes (not in person of course) every time a person says that. They want a super elaborate cake without paying for it. My best friend referred me to someone that ended up being super rude and this lady made my best friend so upset my bff sent her an e-mail putting the lady into place for being so rude! LOL Gotta love her!
Thanks for the advice =)

karukaru Posted 4 Apr 2012 , 2:47am
post #5 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorieleann

I went from having a blog with cakes that friends enjoyed looking at to having a business Facebook page. I do list flavors and prices in my info tab, and i do have a page on my website with 'pricing starts at' for sizes, party cakes and wedding cakes. I really didn't want to get into quoting and quoting and waiting and not hearing back if a custom cake didn't fit into someone's budget.

It has always been a pet peeve of mine for businesses not to at least have a ball park or minimum price for a product. As a customer I also want to know if I can afford something before I invest the time into planning and getting more information. I have some big picture window in our living room that i wanted to get a price on to replace with a low-e windows. I have no idea how much this would cost and i had to make an appointment to have a sales man come to my house, just to get a price. It would have saved me a lot of trouble knowing that each window from that company would cost way more than I could spend now.

I know! That is why I am going to start posting my starting prices, that way someone doesn't come asking for a 3D cake for $80! I am just starting so everything is new to me. Do you also have flavors posted? I literally do not have anything but pictures. Would you mine sharing your page? My page is http://www.facebook.com/pages/Karinas-Amazing-Sweets/136599969759701

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 4 Apr 2012 , 2:49am
post #6 of 17

If you are serious about your business I recommend hiring a professional web designer who can help you with an online marketing plan so you can target people who will actually pay for premium products.

Bonnell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bonnell Posted 4 Apr 2012 , 2:58am
post #7 of 17

Intuit offers a free website for small businesses for a year here in Texas. Not sure about if that is everywhere or not. Just launched my webpage from them. It's adequate for my purposes (I work full-time so I just want to do 2-3 cakes a month). You might want to take advantage of something like that just at the beginning until you build more business. I also signed up with google voice so I could get a dedicated phone number for my business that is free.

karukaru Posted 4 Apr 2012 , 3:08am
post #8 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_kraft

If you are serious about your business I recommend hiring a professional web designer who can help you with an online marketing plan so you can target people who will actually pay for premium products.

Actually my hubby is a computer geek and he used to build websites for people (he works in telecommunications now) so he can do that for me. I am very serious but I want to start slow. I have 2 toddlers and I am a stay at home mom so I do not want to do cakes every weekend. I am not going to ask him to build a website for me unless I have more clients because he is very busy as it is and there is no need for an elaborate website right now. I just had my first official cake last month so I am way too small for a website. I just want to weed out the people that have no clue how much do cakes cost.

karukaru Posted 4 Apr 2012 , 3:32am
post #9 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnell

Intuit offers a free website for small businesses for a year here in Texas. Not sure about if that is everywhere or not. Just launched my webpage from them. It's adequate for my purposes (I work full-time so I just want to do 2-3 cakes a month). You might want to take advantage of something like that just at the beginning until you build more business. I also signed up with google voice so I could get a dedicated phone number for my business that is free.

Wow, that is a great idea! I didn't know Google had that. Thanks so much! icon_smile.gif

Kmm0880 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kmm0880 Posted 4 Apr 2012 , 3:33am
post #10 of 17

I just checked out your page. Great work, if i may add my opinion though icon_smile.gif I would defentaly add your location to the section where you listed your products. Maybe something like "Custom cakes and more, serving (enter area)"

I do not have flavors or pricing listed on my page, mainly photos also. They are if categories such as, kids cakes, cupcakes, cookies, etc. I do have a website which has flavors there.

Hope this helps a little!

lorieleann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorieleann Posted 4 Apr 2012 , 4:01am
post #11 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by karukaru

I know! That is why I am going to start posting my starting prices, that way someone doesn't come asking for a 3D cake for $80! I am just starting so everything is new to me. Do you also have flavors posted? I literally do not have anything but pictures. Would you mine sharing your page?

i have my FB page on a button under my avi photo. You can also get to my website through FB.

I do have flavors posted and a few tabs. It's funny, my husband is a designer (and very busy with work and freelance) but the most i've been able to get out of him is a logo and business cards! He says that he's going to build me a cooler website soon, but right now this is clean and getting the job done. My website is a mac template that he spruced up and it is really really easy for me to update and publish the changes. I also have two little ones and want to keep it small for a while while they are little.

I haven't run into anyone rude, but having prices posted does make the cost issue easier to deal with. There are some friends who inquire about cakes and how much it would cost, and i can tell it makes them uncomfortable when i tell them the price. If it is a general inquiry, ("hey, i'm planning a birthday party for next month, can i talk to you about a cake?") I can ask them to go to my website to look at flavors, sizes and photos so they can get an idea of what i offer. If I don't hear from them again, I know that i was out of their budget but there wasn't that awkward conversation about money. And it cuts down on people calling looking for that $80 carved cake! Win-win. thumbs_up.gif

Bridgette1129 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bridgette1129 Posted 4 Apr 2012 , 5:50am
post #12 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorieleann

It's funny, my husband is a designer (and very busy with work and freelance) but the most i've been able to get out of him is a logo and business cards! He says that he's going to build me a cooler website soon, but right now this is clean and getting the job done. My website is a mac template that he spruced up and it is really really easy for me to update and publish the changes.

I love your site! I wish mine was as pretty and clean as yours! Lol

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 4 Apr 2012 , 5:15pm
post #13 of 17

here's mine if you'd like to look:

www.facebook.com/superstarpastry
www.spdak.com

karukaru Posted 15 Apr 2012 , 2:36am
post #14 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmm0880

I just checked out your page. Great work, if i may add my opinion though icon_smile.gif I would defentaly add your location to the section where you listed your products. Maybe something like "Custom cakes and more, serving (enter area)"

I do not have flavors or pricing listed on my page, mainly photos also. They are if categories such as, kids cakes, cupcakes, cookies, etc. I do have a website which has flavors there.

Hope this helps a little!

Thanks for the input! I already added my location, icon_biggrin.gif

SheliaRenee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SheliaRenee Posted 15 Apr 2012 , 3:34am
post #15 of 17

Your Facebook page looks great! Your cakes and cookies and things are so cute, you do a great job! I also live in a state that has a cottage food law. I have really been wanting to have a Facebook page, but I wasn't sure if I could. DO you need to have a business license to do this? I just have my own personal facebook page with pictures of cakes that I have done and people message me about cakes, but it does get frustrating dealing with the prices. Having a facebook page just for my cakes would make things much easier. Please tell me the details of what you can do under the cottage food law. Thanks!

mcaballero2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaballero2 Posted 15 Apr 2012 , 5:28am
post #16 of 17

Here's mine. I only do 2-3 a month and this works for me for now. The website I created using fatcow.com which has a drag and drop feature that was super easy:

Www.facebook.com/tigerlilycakes
Www.tigerlilycakes.com

SRumzis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SRumzis Posted 15 Apr 2012 , 5:44am
post #17 of 17

I use wix.com, I love it! I pay $10/month, but they also have a free version. My site is www.MilkandHoneyCakeCo.com.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%