Help Deciding Number And Size Of Tiers For 300 Servings...

Decorating By FancyNancysCakery Updated 2 Apr 2012 , 2:55pm by FancyNancysCakery

FancyNancysCakery Posted 2 Apr 2012 , 4:15am
post #1 of 6

This is by far my largest project to date. I have been baking for a little over a year and have done many cakes, but I really need advise on this one.

There needs to be 300 servings and no tiers may touch each other. All the cakes will be chocolate, red velvet and carrot with cream cheese frosting for all.

Here is what I was thinking, please tell me if you have better ideas! 16" on an 18" separator plate, 12" on a 14" plate with roman pillars and plate on top and bottom, 8" on a 10" plate. I think this will be about 175 servings. Then I was going to do two satellite cakes both with 12" base and 9" top adding another 135 servings; again with roman pillars and cake plates between them.

Am I better to do the pillars between that will take the place of the dowels and eliminate the bottom plate for each layer or the way I am talking about where I still need supports and additional plates? The customer is providing me with no additional assistance. This is for a 50th anniversary for her grandparents that her dad and uncles are putting on that she is in the middle of. She said she wants very simple design (just dots around the sides and a few cream cheese roses here and there) and provided she me with a cake topper, but that's about all the info I can get out of her.

Please tell me if I am on the right track or I am going really screw this thing up. Thanks in advance...

P.S. My other thought was to do two duplicate cakes each with 16" 12" and 6" tiers which is about 155 servings a piece, but I wasn't sure if it is strange to have two identical huge cakes...HELP!!!!

5 replies
CWR41 Posted 2 Apr 2012 , 5:28am
post #2 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyNancysCakery

16" on an 18" separator plate, 12" on a 14" plate with roman pillars and plate on top and bottom, 8" on a 10" plate. I think this will be about 175 servings. Then I was going to do two satellite cakes both with 12" base and 9" top adding another 135 servings; again with roman pillars and cake plates between them.

This serves 356. If you swapped the 12" and 9" satellite cakes to 10" and 8" it would serve 304. (I'd suggest putting the 16" on a nice covered board or drum... the 18" separator plate isn't necessary for the base board and would look tacky, IMO.)

Quote:

Am I better to do the pillars between that will take the place of the dowels and eliminate the bottom plate for each layer or the way I am talking about where I still need supports and additional plates?

The push-in pillars are easier and less chance to screw up, but it's your choice if you're comfortable using an internal support system.

Quote:

Please tell me if I am on the right track or I am going really screw this thing up.

You're on the right track. If you'd like to consider one tall cake with separators, just buy the odd-size plates to use with a 16", 14", 12", 10", 8, and 6" for 307 servings.

Apti Posted 2 Apr 2012 , 5:32am
post #3 of 6

There are a lot of logistical considerations in addition to the baking and recipe aspects. Do you have a freezer to store your baked cake layers before you fill and stack them?

Have you used SPS? That's what I would recommend instead of dowels.
What's the largest cake you have made/transported/cut before? Have you any idea of the time involvement on your part?

That's a LOT of cake. I'd suggest making a stacked cake, then making 4" tall "kitchen cakes" (sheet cakes) to supplement the remaining number of servings. (Are you familiar with the term, "kitchen cakes"?)

It CAN be done! I've been hobby baking for 2 years and about 6 months ago I had my biggest project to date: 4 cakes on acrylic cascading cake stands, 14"/12"/10"/8". Red Velvet with cream cheese filling, Sour Cream Chocolate with chocolate buttercream filling, Lemon Poppyseed with lemon filling, Sour Cream White with raspberry and Bavarian cream filling. The Wilton Wedding chart says these cakes should serve 196 servings.
http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/baking-wedding-cake-2-inch-pans.cfm

Here's a photo of the cakes on 4 separate acrylic cake stands. The cakes were done as a love gift from me to my "grandma" for her 100th birthday.
http://christinascakes.shutterfly.com/pictures/337

FancyNancysCakery Posted 2 Apr 2012 , 1:03pm
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWR41

This serves 356. If you swapped the 12" and 9" satellite cakes to 10" and 8" it would serve 304. (I'd suggest putting the 16" on a nice covered board or drum... the 18" separator plate isn't necessary for the base board and would look tacky, IMO.)

So do you think it would look fine if I put it all on a thick covered piece of plywood about 18" or 20"? I do not have a drum nor am I going to purchase one. I didn't think it would look too bad on the separator plate, but I was worried about the feet supporting all that cake. I think I will go with covered plywood...now that I think about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRW41

The push-in pillars are easier and less chance to screw up, but it's your choice if you're comfortable using an internal support system.

Yeah, I think this is a much better idea. Now I'm just really bummed because I bought everything for the roman pillars yesterday and we live in a really rural area and it takes an hour to get to Michaels...cakes are due Saturday and now I need to go back to Michaels...SUCKS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRW41

You're on the right track. If you'd like to consider one tall cake with separators, just buy the odd-size plates to use with a 16", 14", 12", 10", 8, and 6" for 307 servings.

I think I am going to forget the satellite cakes and just stack, but here I am again with another question...since all of the cakes will be on their own plates and not need to be stacked directly on top of each other, aren't I okay to make each one individually, travel to location and shouldn't it be pretty easy to stack the cake there? Since they will not be touching each other directly I do not think there will be a lot of touching up or trim finishing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apti

There are a lot of logistical considerations in addition to the baking and recipe aspects. Do you have a freezer to store your baked cake layers before you fill and stack them?

I do not plan on freezing the cakes, as I am going to start making them today or tomorrow and they are due Saturday.

Quote:

That's a LOT of cake. I'd suggest making a stacked cake, then making 4" tall "kitchen cakes" (sheet cakes) to supplement the remaining number of servings. (Are you familiar with the term, "kitchen cakes"?)

Haven't discussed it with them but I do not think they would be happy with a sheet cake, trust me I have considered it.

Quote:

What's the largest cake you have made/transported/cut before?

Largest cake made/transported was about 100 servings 3 tiers (12/9/6) all stacked directly on top of each other.

Quote:

Have you any idea of the time involvement [/list]on you[/list]r part?

Haha...NO! That's what terrifies me! I feel like if I start baking today and make 2 cakes a day I should be done with the cakes by Wednesday. While the cakes are baking I can make the CC frosting and begin covering the cakes and refrigerating. With this plan I was really hoping to be done with the cakes on Friday...am I entirely too optimistic? Luckily I do not have to work this week as I work in a school and we are on spring break...or spring cake as I think I will be calling it icon_smile.gif

Thanks to both of you for your help/advice....feeling a little better about it this morning, but still VERY scared!
icon_cry.gif

CWR41 Posted 2 Apr 2012 , 2:38pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:

So do you think it would look fine if I put it all on a thick covered piece of plywood about 18" or 20"?

Yes. (I'd use a 20" under a 16" cake.)

FancyNancysCakery Posted 2 Apr 2012 , 2:55pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWR41

Quote:

So do you think it would look fine if I put it all on a thick covered piece of plywood about 18" or 20"?

Yes. (I'd use a 20" under a 16" cake.)

Wow...I just keep over thinking this and am getting really stressed out!

Thank you...I will use a 20" under the 16", but now I have decided to make a 4 tier (16/12/9/6) and two satellites (10/8 each). I have not used the SPS system, but hope I can find something that will work like it at Michaels or AC Moore today.

Wish me luck and anyone who has advice, please post anything that you think will help...will be checking back more often than I should!

Thanks again

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%