Attention Licensed Pa Home Bakers, Help Me Pleeeease! ;-)

Business By CiNoRi Updated 2 Apr 2012 , 11:27pm by gatorcake

CiNoRi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CiNoRi Posted 1 Apr 2012 , 2:01pm
post #1 of 5

Hi all,

I need your input ASAP! I am in the process of moving to Pennsylvania, things were to take a while but in the last few hours we got am offer on our old house and now we are RUSHED to look to buy a new place in PA. I had only begun to do my business research (let alone narrow down where we are looking to live long term). now being in the bind to find something fast I am trying desperately to still plan & think ahead. I know at home business baking is legal in PA...but the idea of townships (and them having their own ways of doing things) is new to us.

Is there anything I need to be on the look out for, or keep in mind when looking for our home which will also hold my business for a while?

I REALLY appreciate you advice!

4 replies
gatorcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gatorcake Posted 2 Apr 2012 , 2:18am
post #2 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by CiNoRi

Hi all,

I need your input ASAP! I am in the process of moving to Pennsylvania, things were to take a while but in the last few hours we got am offer on our old house and now we are RUSHED to look to buy a new place in PA. I had only begun to do my business research (let alone narrow down where we are looking to live long term). now being in the bind to find something fast I am trying desperately to still plan & think ahead. I know at home business baking is legal in PA...but the idea of townships (and them having their own ways of doing things) is new to us.

Is there anything I need to be on the look out for, or keep in mind when looking for our home which will also hold my business for a while?

I REALLY appreciate you advice!

In terms of townships they are a bit odd but not that difficult to navigate. The biggest difference seems to pertain to taxes. So I live outside of a city in a township, my property taxes are lower than those that live in the city. However because I live in the township and not the city I have to pay a small right to work tax because I work within the city limits. But I pay about $1000 less in property taxes by living in the township as opposed to within the city limits. I cannot say whether this is common in every city/township but it is may be the case that your property taxes could be significantly different.

Things to keep in mind would be who your local municipality would be. It should not be difficult to know which that is. If in a city, the local municipality is the city, if in a township it would be the township office.

City services could be something to consider. So in the township in which I reside part of the township residents are on city water. However, about half a mile from my house township residents are on well water. If not on a public water supply you will have to have your water supply tested.

Your ingredients must be kept separate from ingredients for daily use so that might impact the kind of storage space you are looking for when looking for your new home.

If you have not seen the Dept of Ag requirements here is a link

http://lehighvalleybeekeepers.org/Documents/Home_Processing_rev_11-05.pdf

Hope this helps.

CiNoRi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CiNoRi Posted 2 Apr 2012 , 3:15pm
post #3 of 5

Thank you soooo much for your help!!!! I kinda figured it was similar to what I'm coming from, it sounds like the general rules are pretty much the same....water/ inspections etc... but thanks so much on bringing up the tax issues... that part I had no idea!

Also thanks for the link that helps me soooooo much!!!!

ReneeFLL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ReneeFLL Posted 2 Apr 2012 , 4:15pm
post #4 of 5

I don't know the laws in PA, but would it be possible to rent short term while looking around? I know it sounds like a pain. I have heard of some people putting all or most of their stuff in storage and either renting a furnished place or unpacking just the absolute necessary items while looking around. If this is going to be your permanent place I would definitely put some good research into it. Good luck with the move.

gatorcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gatorcake Posted 2 Apr 2012 , 11:27pm
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by CiNoRi

Thank you soooo much for your help!!!! I kinda figured it was similar to what I'm coming from, it sounds like the general rules are pretty much the same....water/ inspections etc... but thanks so much on bringing up the tax issues... that part I had no idea!

Also thanks for the link that helps me soooooo much!!!!

Glad I could help. Hope the move goes well!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%