How To Multi Layer Cake To Be Level?

Decorating By skanuka Updated 2 Apr 2012 , 6:12pm by chasingmytail

skanuka Posted 1 Apr 2012 , 5:45am
post #1 of 6

Hi ladies,

I'm a year into making cakes and just starting to play with fondant. Did my second cake tonight for my nephews baby shower icon_smile.gif

It was a 5 level cake. 4 of those levels were 9" round cakes. I used the Wilton leveller. Thought I used equal amounts of icing in between but in the end my cake tilts slightly.

I see so many beautiful level cakes from all you ladies...any tips for a newbie?

THANKS!!!!!!
Shanna[img][/img]

5 replies
leah_s Posted 1 Apr 2012 , 5:08pm
post #2 of 6

Are you asking about tiers? Cakes don't have levels.

If you are, then the layers each have to be level to begin with. Then you stack them up and the tier should then be level.

1. The Wilton leveler is crap and doesn't always make a level cut.
2. The Agbay Leveler is the best and *always* works properly.
3. Use a portion scoop or even a measuring cup to insure that you're putting the same amount of filling/frosting between each layer. A portion scoop is easier to use than a measuring cup.

I you don't have an Agbay or can't afford one right now (save your extra $ for one) then you can use the top edge of the cake pan and a long serrated knife. Lay the knife blade flat along the top edge of the pan and using the pan as a guide, make a level cut across the top of the cake. The layer should then be 2" tall and level. If you need to torte that layer, take the cake out of the pan, place cake cardboards into the pan that equal 1" in height. Place the cake back into the pan and make another cut. This process will give you 2, 1" tall layers.

Stack up the layers with filling and the tier should be level.

PS, don't forget to let the tiers settle.

Rosie2 Posted 1 Apr 2012 , 7:17pm
post #3 of 6

Leah_s, has anybody tell you you're a genius??? if not, yup you are one!!! thumbs_up.gif
you come up with the best tips for everyone, Thank youuuuuuuu forever!!! thumbs_up.gif

leah_s Posted 2 Apr 2012 , 12:02am
post #4 of 6

Aw, shucks. I've just been doing this a looooooong time.

Rosie2 Posted 2 Apr 2012 , 5:52pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

Aw, shucks. I've just been doing this a looooooong time.

thumbs_up.gif

chasingmytail Posted 2 Apr 2012 , 6:12pm
post #6 of 6

I know what you mean, its the consistant filling thats the problem not the cake piece - thats what you mean isnt it? With lots of layers there can be a slight variation in thickness and after a few layers it knocks your level out.

I have had this problem too but assume you use a small construction leveller to get it accuate? I have read on here about weighting the cakes but have no idea how you would adjust any problems? I usally have a cake on the [email protected] here too!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%