Cookies By Design - Tips/tricks Thread

Baking By Tscookies Updated 19 Oct 2014 , 2:47am by shanter

cookie_fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookie_fun Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 4:11am
post #91 of 131

Cool thread. Thanks to all the CbyD people who have replied.
I ordered a bouquet many years ago now, and was disappointed in the taste of the cookies, but loved the design. It started a love affair with cookies that I have made into my hobby.
I've never painted my RI on before. I'll have to try it.

Kos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kos Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 12:52pm
post #92 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjshoemake

why is there a drill being used? Why can't they just bake the cookies with the sticks in it? After the hole is drilled, what is stopping the cookie from turning around on the stick or falling off if it is accidentally tipped or something like that?

someone had mentioned quick drying cement for the assembly??? What do they use that for?

TIA

Some days you were baking hundreds of cookies besides mixing and making the gourmets. (more if a holiday was involved) To put a stick in during baking would slow the process way too much. In the shop I worked, the baker would drill the holes and move to the decorating racks. The decorators would decorate and then move to assembly. There are 1-inch increment sticks starting at 6" to 14"+. The assembler decides what length stick goes on what cookie. If the cookie would spin on a stick, we would fill the hole with a bit of icing to stick. Cookies baked for holiday orders are often baked in huge quantities and frozen. Having sticks on cookies would take too much space in freezers as well.

Hmmm...cement...our shop never used that bt maybe it was for weight in a basket?

kos

cjshoemake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cjshoemake Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 5:35pm
post #93 of 131

makes sense. Thanks. now all we need to do if figure out their icing.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 11:57pm
post #94 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauramw71

ONLY thing I know about them is they are ASTRONOMICALLY expensive! Like OMG expensive. LOL
I've never had them but would kinda like to get a bouquet just to dissect it lol

Man are they expensive. Don't you wish that you could charge that kind of money?? icon_biggrin.gif And I have thought the exact same thing about buying a basket to check it out. Maybe one day I will...but not anytime soon. Too expensive.

But I would love to learn secrets. icon_biggrin.gif

roxxxy_luvs_duff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
roxxxy_luvs_duff Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 12:13am
post #95 of 131

They freeze their cookies icon_biggrin.gif my sister worked there and told me everything. She did have to sign some sort contract thing. I have not read therough this while thread but I may be able to answer some questions

roxxxy_luvs_duff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
roxxxy_luvs_duff Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 12:18am
post #96 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by cookiecreations

Quote:
Originally Posted by gidgetsmom

I worked for a company that uses them a lot and I've also ordered/seen things from Houston and Louisiana. I have seen LOTS of the bouquets as a result and I can honestly say I've never seen one as perfect as the pictures. That's not to say some of them weren't wonderful - some of them were very poorly done - most were somewhere in between. It depends on who's doing the decorating.

I'm so curious as to how they train the decorators, does anyone know? Do they have an experienced decorator that comes in, do they send employees to a central location, train at a franchise location, etc? Better yet, what about when a new design is created?? icon_confused.gif Afterall, I'm assuming that regardless of all the franchise locations across the US, all the cookies have to be decorated exactly the same way, right?

they just practice, practice, practice. my sister use to bring home boxes of cookies everyday that she practiced on. well that was until she told me how much fat one cookie had then i told her to keep them away

BCJean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCJean Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 12:45am
post #97 of 131

A few years ago, I worked for Cookie Creations. We used the drill for our cookies also. We made the containers up in advance....like once a week. We used plaster of Paris to hold the sticks in position. We had an arrangement of sticks for 2 to 12 cookies. The sticks were different lengths and positioned so you would be able to see all of the cookies.
When we were ready to make a bouquet up, we took two sheets of tissue paper and laid it over the top of all of the sticks. We then pushed the paper down to the bottom of all of the sticks and left the corners up around the base of the sticks.
We then took each decorated cookie, drilled the hole, squirted a bit of the icing in the hole, and stuck it on the stick, which was already anchored in the container.
When you are doing hundreds of cookies a day, this system works great.
I have the icing recipe we used, which I have broken down, in size, for my own personal use. I love it because it tastes good, gets solid enough to stack the cookies, yet does not dry hard. I have a pic of some cookies I did for my grandson using this icing. I will add a link to it. We did most of our fill in using a #2 or 3 decorating tip. This icing was made the consistency to use that way. You could use this to make your outline but would have to thin it for flood work.

Cutout Cookie Icing
3 egg whites, at room temp. (you can also use MP)
Whip 2 min., fast speed or until stiff.
Add:
1/2 tsp. almond extract
1 tsp. vanilla
1 lb. powdered sugar
Mix.
Add:
2 Tbs. Crisco
Mix on low speed until smooth.
(If you want to make a glaze from this, just add a little hot water.)

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=998653

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1295655

luv2bake6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bake6 Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 6:26pm
post #98 of 131

Hi. I'm new to the forum and thoroughly enjoyed reading all these posts.
I'd love to know how they pack the bouquet of cookies into the containers. Do they use styrofoam, floral foam? How do they attach this to their container? How do they make it where you can't see the sticks in the arragement?

luv2bake6 Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 6:29pm
post #99 of 131

I'd love to know how they pack the bouquet of cookies into the containers. Do they use styrofoam, floral foam? How do they attach this to their container? How do they make it where you can't see the sticks in the arragement?

luv2bake6 Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 6:29pm
post #100 of 131

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 7:21pm
post #101 of 131

Cookies By Design has their own containers made. There are places for all of the sticks to slide down into so they are perfectly arranged.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 4:07pm
post #102 of 131

Sheesh! Is anyone else not getting email notices on this thread? icon_rolleyes.gif

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 4:12pm
post #103 of 131

I just started after I posted, but for months I had not. Hmph.

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 4:37pm
post #104 of 131

You may not have been getting notices, because the thread is 2 years old. It may have fallen off your watch list. I just bumped it up last Friday.

sallene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sallene Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 8:52pm
post #105 of 131

What a cool thread. I've always wondered how DBD does their stuff.

Keep the info coming!

I'm very interested in the containers with holes ready for the sticks. I know they special order, but any tips for those of us who would like to set something like that up to save time?

And how does the drill work without the cookie crumbling? Just the thickness of the cookies?

Alagoas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alagoas Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 5:25pm
post #106 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCJean

Cutout Cookie Icing
3 egg whites, at room temp. (you can also use MP)
Whip 2 min., fast speed or until stiff.
Add:
1/2 tsp. almond extract
1 tsp. vanilla
1 lb. powdered sugar
Mix.
Add:
2 Tbs. Crisco
Mix on low speed until smooth.
(If you want to make a glaze from this, just add a little hot water.)

Never thought to use Crisco... I'll have to try it though... icon_confused.gif

sgirvan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sgirvan Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 8:07pm
post #107 of 131

I would think that maybe you could just add a tblsp or two of shortening to the royal icing recipe and it would make it crust but not to the rock hard consistency?

lainalee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lainalee Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 8:17pm
post #108 of 131

just found this thread. love to do cookies. gonna read a past pages. thanks for sharing

jouj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jouj Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 9:46pm
post #109 of 131

Interesting thread!! I liked CBD cookies, but to tell you the truth, a lot of cookie decorators on CC have far more beautiful cookies.

I have a question, did anyone try mixing a bit of shortening to their Royal Icing?

Thanks.
Jouj

vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 10:21pm
post #110 of 131

Thank you to all of you that shared your work experiences with the different cookie companies. The cake with the file will be arriving shortly!

I love the idea of the pots with the sticks in them already so they are ready to do. I don't care how all of you feel about the designs, I'm still in awe of how beautiful they look. It still takes talent!

Thanks again for all the tips!

Justbeck101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Justbeck101 Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 4:08am
post #111 of 131

I love this thread, I am going to make some cookies for my kids school this weekend. Thanks everyone!

bobwonderbuns Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 12:29pm
post #112 of 131

jouj, if you mix grease of any kind with royal it breaks down. I've heard of mixing corn syrup in it but not shortening.

CookieMakinMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieMakinMomma Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 1:55pm
post #113 of 131

IMHO, Shortening/butter only affects royal because of how/what you are making. Royal is basically a meringue as it's sugar and eggs whipped for ten flippin minutes (i would never have the patience, how do you all do it??) Adding grease to a meringue breaks down the whites and they cannot hold all the air bubbles that you are trying to whip into them.

On the other hand, if you start with a shortening/butter based icing and add some meringue powder you get a crusting buttercream. There are a lot of threads on here about crusting buttercream and whether the meringue powder actually does anything. The general consensus seems to be.. maybe. icon_confused.gif The basic idea is that it helps it firm up a bit faster and stabilizes it so it can stand up to high humidity/heat conditions. I don't think it works as well for the cakers because they use much thicker layers of icing. I've used it once and as long as i left it for 24hrs it firmed up completely and was still soft and edible. (i have a pic)

Basically, the oil/egg white rule depends on what you are trying to do with your whites. If you want them whipped stiff and full of air then yes stay far away from oil. If you just want to boost stability and drying time in another icing then, IMO, you're fine.

Judging from the ingredients list someone posted earlier and from the pics on their website, I would hazard a guess that they use some sort of shortening based crusting buttercream. You can see the piped lines in the small filled in areas because the consistency is so much thicker than other icings. To get the background smooth they probably trowel the stuff on then scrape the top smooth. Actually, other areas look so smooth that they may have used a rbc, but it's hard to tell. If you look at the "chicks in disguise" basket they have up now, some of the details on the eggs are definitely not piped.

Sorry this is so long. I'm kind of bored right now... icon_biggrin.gif

jouj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jouj Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 11:06pm
post #114 of 131

bobwonderbuns: Thank u for your reply. I tried mixing shortening with RI, like sgirvan mentioned, and it broke down. I just wanted to make sure that it wasn't me doing something wrong.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 12:50pm
post #115 of 131

Hey Bobwonderbuns -- I haven't been getting emails on this thread either. And for me, the first time I posted on here was only a few months ago.

And actually, if I start a post, I don't get emails about them anymore. I have to go and find them. I don't mind, it's not that hard. I just go to the watched topics. It's just much easier when you get that little email. =o)

bobwonderbuns Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 5:01pm
post #116 of 131

Yes, I've been having a lot of email issues lately, but hey, it could be worse! After all, if it's not one thing it's two! icon_rolleyes.gificon_lol.gif

The royal icing cannot hold up to any sort of grease -- either the meringue powder recipe or the egg white recipe. Egg whites themselves cannot tolerate any grease either, so that's likely what's breaking down.

But as they say, practice practice practice! icon_biggrin.gif

cjshoemake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cjshoemake Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 11:52pm
post #117 of 131

I added the shortening to the icing recipe. It was ok. It harded to the touch but was soft if pressed on. I could not stack them on top of each other because they would mess up. I think maybe next time I might only add half of the shortening.

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 3:54am
post #118 of 131

Cylstrial, when you start a topic and want e-mail notices of replies, you have to click the 'watch this topic' line down at the bottom. Just a quirk of the program.

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 7 May 2009 , 12:41pm
post #119 of 131

I'd like to revive this thread!
Someone on here said that the icing recipe is no big secret....does anyone know it?

bobwonderbuns Posted 7 May 2009 , 12:44pm
post #120 of 131

I thought they used a royal icing but I could be wrong on that. I've had their cookies before and they didn't taste like a glace icing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%