How To Make This & Sturdy?!!?

Decorating By CiNoRi Updated 30 Mar 2012 , 5:54pm by ReneeFLL

CiNoRi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CiNoRi Posted 30 Mar 2012 , 2:36pm
post #1 of 6

I want to create a cake similar to this in structure:

http://howtoss.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/Modern-Square-Wedding-Cakes2.jpg

How would I go about it, and also keep in sturdy?!?!?

Thanks!

5 replies
debbief Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbief Posted 30 Mar 2012 , 2:53pm
post #2 of 6

I would say use styrofoam for the smaller separater tiers and just make sure your cake tiers are on good sturdy cake boards. And then of course the usual dowel support inside the cake, but nothing that you wouldn't normally do for a tierd cake.

CiNoRi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CiNoRi Posted 30 Mar 2012 , 5:26pm
post #3 of 6

Just curious on your take, What sized tiers would you think those are? <cake & not cake>

debbief Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbief Posted 30 Mar 2012 , 5:51pm
post #4 of 6

hmm that's a tough one. If I had to guess I'd say the tiers don't appear to be much different in size...maybe just an inch at the most. So maybe a 10", 9", 8". Then maybe a 7", 6" for the non-cake tiers. Or maybe even two 6" for the non cake tiers, but the bottom one looks a little bigger than the one above.

Also for stablility, I'd put the dowels in the cake ( I actually prefer the hollow tubes or bubble straws) as far to the edge and corners of the styro tier above it as possible (and at least one in the middle). Also put the styro tiers on a board so the dowels dont poke down into the styro and sink. Make sense?

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 30 Mar 2012 , 5:52pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by CiNoRi

Just curious on your take, What sized tiers would you think those are? <cake & not cake>

I'd guess the spacers are 6" & 8", and the cakes are 10", 12", & 14".

ReneeFLL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ReneeFLL Posted 30 Mar 2012 , 5:54pm
post #6 of 6

My guess would be an 8, 9 &10. The different tiers look very close in size. I am also thinking that the top tier is at least an 8" because I don't think that the top flowers are smaller than 6" in size. I could be wrong, it's hard to tell. Very pretty cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%