Dummy Cake - Royal Icing Or Buttercream Piping

Decorating By KalisCakes Updated 30 Mar 2012 , 5:02pm by KalisCakes

KalisCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KalisCakes Posted 30 Mar 2012 , 3:52am
post #1 of 4

I have a plain white 4 tier dummy cake with plain white fondant that, quite frankly, I'm tired of looking at. I want add traditional piping (scrolls, flowers, garland, etc.) to the dummy. I love that royal icing dries hard, and I love that buttercream is more readily available and easier on my hands most of the time. What do y'all use? Do you think if I use the buttercream it'll melt off?

3 replies
chelleb1974 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelleb1974 Posted 30 Mar 2012 , 1:56pm
post #2 of 4

Unless you live in a warm or humid climate, the buttercream should not melt off the cake. I, personally, would use royal icing. It's not that difficult to make, there is a recipe on Wilton's website that I have used with great success.

~Chelle

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 30 Mar 2012 , 3:36pm
post #3 of 4

I've iced and decorated dummy cakes with buttercream with no problem, so I can't see it being a problem to decorate a fondant one with it. The buttercream will crust offer and harder up over time anyway.

KalisCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KalisCakes Posted 30 Mar 2012 , 5:02pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks y'all! Like I said, I've always used royal icing, but I think for this one I wanna play with the buttercream. The dummies are always in the shop anyway, so barring an a/c issue this summer (I hope I didn't just jinx myself)..... eek!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%