1St Birthday Cake

Decorating By sush-jay Updated 2 Apr 2012 , 9:39pm by bakingkat

sush-jay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sush-jay Posted 29 Mar 2012 , 9:38pm
post #1 of 7

Hi Everyone
My daughter's 1st birthday is in 2 weeks and we are going for a Jungle Theme. I am a novice. Had some good experiences with baking cakes, just a 8-9 inch cake for special occasions in my family.I have decided to bake my DDs birthday cake so now I have few questions.

1.The party is on sunday, April 15th in the afternoon from 11am-3pm. We will be leaving to the party hall at around 8am as we need to go there by 9am(its an hour drive) and decorate the hall. So what would be the best timing to prepare the cake so that it tastes fresh and would also be stable throughout the journey, I mean when should I cover it with buttercream and when should I layer with fondant.I am going for a 2 level cake a 6 inch round upon a 10 inch round cake with fruit filling.

2. How should I store it in the refrigerator after applying buttercream and also after covering with buttercream?

3. What is the best way to transfer the cake to the destination safely. Should I cover it in a box?

6 replies
bakingkat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingkat Posted 30 Mar 2012 , 4:28am
post #2 of 7

It's best to have the cake fully chilled before transporting for maximum stability. Also definitely put it in a box, it A, helps keep it insulated and cool and B, will keep condensation/melting issues from occuring. Some fondants dont do well in the fridge, so it will depend on what kind you use. I would bake 2 days before, fill and let settle overnight ( I do this in the fridge) then make the whole cake the day before, then box it, seal it up, and place in the fridge over night. Take it out right before you leave and keep it in the sealed box until right before the party. By letting it come to room temperature before opening the box you shouldn't have any condensation issues.
I don't know if thats more info than you were looking for, but hopefully that helps you icon_smile.gif

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 30 Mar 2012 , 4:57am
post #3 of 7

Everything said by bakingkat is excellent advice.

sush-jay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sush-jay Posted 30 Mar 2012 , 11:23pm
post #4 of 7

Thank you Bakingkat icon_smile.gif You gave all the information I wanted.So when I finish the cake and box it,should I seal it airtight? because somewhere in the forums, I read that the cake needs little air.

bakingkat Posted 1 Apr 2012 , 4:13am
post #5 of 7

I know that cupcakes need air, or else the liners start coming loose, but I haven't heard anything like that about cake. I think you want it sealed because it's the air coming in to the cool environment that creates the condensation...

daprincessnora Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daprincessnora Posted 1 Apr 2012 , 6:15am
post #6 of 7

Best of luck Sush-jay in your daughters birthday !
I want to ask bakingkat when sealing the fondant cake and refrigerate it, the fondant wouldn't crack that way? I'm always making the marshmallow fondant but i haven't refrigerate it before since i heard that it cracks.

bakingkat Posted 2 Apr 2012 , 9:39pm
post #7 of 7

You have to test with your fondant to see how it handles. I personally use Michele Foster's Fondant, with my commercial refrigerator, and have no problems. However I have never used mmf. My sis in-law has put mmf covered in the fridge without issues, but it really depends on your recipe and the humidity of your area and your fridge. I did a test run by making a 2 layer 6" cake, cutting it into 4 and covering each separately. Tried it out with some rolled shortening mat method, some rolled with powdered sugar, and then boxed and not boxed to see what works best. I found that the powdered sugar one sweat much more then the shortening, but neither cracked and both eventually dried.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%