xSabrinaLee Posted 29 Mar 2012 , 9:37pm
post #1 of

I painted a cake using airbrush colors, but I have to finish it somewhere without them. Can I use regular paint to finish it? It's mostly just details, but I need to know if it will mess up the fondant or anything like that..

10 replies
Spuddysmom Posted 29 Mar 2012 , 9:54pm
post #2 of

If by "regular paint" you mean regular food color gel, (or dust) yes. Usually you would mix the color with lemon juice or a clear alcohol (vodka) then paint it on the fondant.

xSabrinaLee Posted 29 Mar 2012 , 10:05pm
post #3 of

Nope, I mean acrylic or watercolor paint.

Leauna Posted 29 Mar 2012 , 10:24pm
post #4 of

No, you can not. You can ONLY use food colors as suggested by spuddysmom. And I am curious. When you say that you used airbrush colors, do you mean regualr paint colors or did you use food colors?

Spuddysmom Posted 29 Mar 2012 , 10:27pm
post #5 of
Quote:
Originally Posted by xSabrinaLee

Nope, I mean acrylic or watercolor paint.

Hmm, I guess April 1st is almost here, eh?

xSabrinaLee Posted 29 Mar 2012 , 10:33pm
post #6 of

I think I should have mentioned that it's a styrofoam cake and just for display. I'm not seriously going to paint a real cake with that! icon_redface.gif

Leauna Posted 30 Mar 2012 , 12:35am
post #7 of

So happy that you cleared that up icon_smile.gif

KalisCakes Posted 30 Mar 2012 , 12:49am
post #8 of

lol, in that case... if no one's eating it... paint away with whatever I'd say

cakeyouverymuch Posted 30 Mar 2012 , 1:53am
post #9 of

I'd choose the watercolor. The acrylic won't give you the food color look. IMO acrylic will look too plastic like.

BizCoCos Posted 30 Mar 2012 , 2:30am

I have used acrylic with great esults for dummy cake

HannahsMomi Posted 13 Feb 2014 , 11:50pm

fondant holds up to acrylic paints?  I have a dummy cake that I need to be gold, but I don't want to spend all that money on edible lustre sprays...I thought I might try spray paint from home depot or acrylic paints on top of the fondant...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%