Vent! Some People!

Lounge By tripleD Updated 1 Apr 2012 , 10:43pm by heynannie

tripleD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tripleD Posted 29 Mar 2012 , 12:45pm
post #1 of 19

Do people have no compasion? My Dad had a massive stroke. I had to cancel a few orders to be by his side. I gave them a five day notice. All seemed to be okay with the cancelations. But one. She asked me to still make her cake and then deliver it. ( she added delivery since she will be decorating). She said That her daughter will only have one first birthday.She had the nerve to ask me not to go to the funeral since I was there with him all week.??? icon_eek.gif
If it was not for my Dad I would not even have the cake shop.
I hope she gets a Walmart cake and it ends up on cake wrecks.

18 replies
redding86 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redding86 Posted 29 Mar 2012 , 1:08pm
post #2 of 19

The last part, about her asking you to not go to your own fathers funeral....
there are no words to describe someone as stupid and thoughtless as that. You had the common courtesy to give her a few days notice. Anyone in their right mind would see the situation and give you all the time in the world you needed. So what her daughter is turning one? I wouldn't want to do business with a person like that anyway. She can have her cake, tell her to go to Wal-mart and to shove her *** where the sun doesn't shine.

mclaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mclaren Posted 29 Mar 2012 , 1:19pm
post #3 of 19

I don't know what to say, wow, I'm loss for words. Cannot believe the nerve of her.

Condolences for you and your family on the passing of your beloved Dad. Some people are just selfish and thoughtless, one day their own attitude will bite back at them.

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 29 Mar 2012 , 1:58pm
post #4 of 19

That lady is insane. Even if were a wedding cake, she should understand. So sorry for your loss, I will keep you and your family in my prayers. Hugs.

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 29 Mar 2012 , 2:47pm
post #5 of 19

I am so sorry for your loss. But am very glad that you were able to be with your father during his last days.

Serious Crap happens to people and unfortunately, unless it is happening to that person, many are unable or willing to look past their own pettiness of wants to appreciate what another is going through.

The woman should be praying with happiness that her child is alive and celebrating its first birthday, while another is unfortunately facing the end of their life. In the face of death and grief a cake seems quite trivial. I am so sorry that you had to experience an individual who couldnt see the bigger picture.

Business wise, you were quite professional in giving them notice. So dont worry about it and instead spend you time remembering the good times with your father and take time to grieve.

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 29 Mar 2012 , 5:59pm
post #6 of 19

First, my deepest condolences on the death of your father. It's been over two years since my dad passed away, and I miss him every single day!

Your client is being incredibly insensitive and self-centered! Wow! I realize there are people who think the world revolves only around them, but this lady takes it to a whole new level. I know we all take cake seriously around here, but it's just c-a-k-e. For a one-year-old, who doesn't even know what cake is! Wow.

My thoughts are with you and your family.

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 29 Mar 2012 , 6:11pm
post #7 of 19

My deepest condolences on the loss of your Dad. Thank God that you got to spend his last days with him. My dad died very suddenly in July after not having spoken to me for 2 years - - not good.

Knowing the character of this customer I don't think anyone in the world would blame you if you vented directly at her. Definitely move her to the top of your "People I Will Never Deal With Again" list. Some people are so selfish they can't see past themselves and their own priorities. Just don't ever let yourself become one of them.

Take time to grieve and remember and get back to cakes when it seems right to you. You're in my thoughts and prayers.

AMACakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AMACakes Posted 29 Mar 2012 , 6:13pm
post #8 of 19

I honestly cannot believe the audacity of that woman. I'm not sure I would have been as calm as you. That borders on a severe personality disorder. No one I know would ever think that it is ok to ask someone to NOT go to their father's funeral for a cake order. Her one year old isn't going to remember the cake and she probably won't even eat it. eerrrrggg people like that make me very angry. icon_mad.gif

Sincerest condolences on the loss of your father. I'm very sorry.

IvyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IvyCakes Posted 29 Mar 2012 , 6:22pm
post #9 of 19

I would have driven to her house and punched her in the face. No one. NO ONE. NO ONE NO ONE NO ONE. EVER. disrespects my parents. Oh man I am fuming on your behalf, I just had a list of a million obscenities run through my head after reading that. *HUUUGS* I am so sorry for your loss... your father sounds wonderful, someone who supports you in your dreams and helps you build a business. We can all only hope to have people in our lives that give us such kindness, support and love. I hope you can surround yourself in people who love you in this time... that woman has no right to even stain your memories. (And I hope her precious daughter spits up cake all over her icon_mad.gif )

cakelady2266 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady2266 Posted 29 Mar 2012 , 7:15pm
post #10 of 19

I'm very sorry about your dad. But no I'm not surprised at all. There is whole bunch of entitled, incapable of a thought outside themselves folks who will never get it.

When my daddy died I cancelled a 1st birthday cake, with a weeks notice. The lady was fine with it but she was friend of my sister in law and my own sister in law tried to guilt me into doing. Screw that. My mother was in the hospital for 19 days and I was by her side for nearly every moment. I cancelled my neighbors birthday cake and she was all over facebook bad mouthing the "cakelady" for cancelling her order. Which by the way she never gave me any details at all but just expected me to provide the cake with no info. People need slapping in the face real hard sometimes.

I wouldn't further acknowledge the woman. Her child will have plenty of birthdays and she will get over not having her "dream" cake, and if she don't tough s**t for her. And if she talks bad about you to her friends or other people she will be the one that looks bad for being so selfish.

tigachu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tigachu Posted 29 Mar 2012 , 7:25pm
post #11 of 19

I am so sorry for your loss. (((HUGS)))

That woman should be ashamed of herself. Everyone could benefit by having at least an ounce of compassion.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 29 Mar 2012 , 9:12pm
post #12 of 19

Along with everyone else I give you my sympathy on your loss. It's very hard for us when a loved one passes away.
As the others said, try very hard to put this behind you and take time to grieve. My own parents passed away (some 8 yrs apart) so I know somewhat the pain you are going through.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 1 Apr 2012 , 7:27am
post #13 of 19

I'm sorry for your loss. I lost my dad a few years ago and every time I think of him I still cry.

My mom had a heart attack 24 hours ago and I had to work around going to see her and getting my cupcakes out to my retail location. Now I'm sitting up staying on the nurses by phone making sure they check her every hour while I'm not there.

I have a few cake bakeries that I have an understanding with that we will bake each others' cakes in an emergency. About a year ago, a fellow CC member and I agreed to step in for eack other. She and I have similar baking styles and I think our clients would be ok with the switch.

If you are on your own, please do yourself a big favor and also ease your mind in emergencies... find a fellow baker that needs a backup and have a plan in advance. If you start a thread, you will probably find a CC member in your area that has a similar style and baking method.

You never know when a family crisis will arise or you are too sick to safely make a cake. Not every virus can be stopped by gloves and a mask.

Again, so sorry for your loss, but hopefully the next emergency will be with nicer clients.

RebeccaBloomwood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RebeccaBloomwood Posted 1 Apr 2012 , 7:57am
post #14 of 19

I cannot believe how that woman could ask you to skip your father's funeral for a cake. Does she even realize how insensitive and selfish she sounds? Oh my gosh, some people...I just can't believe she had the nerve to even ask that!

I am so sorry for your loss, my deepest condolences to you and your family..

Spuddysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spuddysmom Posted 1 Apr 2012 , 2:31pm
post #15 of 19

I am so sorry for your loss.
As far as the would-be client goes - she created a whole new level of narcissism. Don't let the memory of her cold-heartedness waste one more minute of your energy. Concentrate on the good memories of your father and the knowledge that whether or not he was able to express it, your presence must have given him great comfort. Good for you for being there for him.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 1 Apr 2012 , 3:46pm
post #16 of 19

I've come to the sad realization that the general human race is like a pack of wolves..They don't care who they eat!! I would have told her to go #@&^ herself...Gee they sure wouldn't care if they cancelled on you for the same reason.....

merry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
merry Posted 1 Apr 2012 , 3:48pm
post #17 of 19

I very sorry for your loss......may he rest in peace and my prayers are with you and your family.

A very heartless self centered woman!

tbkimber Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tbkimber Posted 1 Apr 2012 , 9:44pm
post #18 of 19

I wish you could post her email here so all of us could tell her exactly what we think of her cruel treatment of you. I definitely have several choice words for her. I too lost my dad after a hospital stay and I miss him every day, so I can understand some of what you are going through. Take care of yourself and spend time with the people in your life that love you and want to care for you. Tell the rest of them to go #@&! themselves and don't waste any more of your time on them. You are in my prayers!

heynannie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heynannie Posted 1 Apr 2012 , 10:43pm
post #19 of 19

You have my sympathy and prayers,so sorry...you handled everything very well.Please believe me she will need you waaaay before you need her...Prayers of strength for you and your family <333><

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%