Liabiity Insurance

Business By pastryqueen9 Updated 31 Mar 2012 , 2:54pm by leah_s

pastryqueen9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryqueen9 Posted 28 Mar 2012 , 6:33pm
post #1 of 11

Hello Fellow CCers!

I an in need of some good AFFORDABLE liability insurance. Does anyone have a good company they can recommend? TIA!! icon_biggrin.gif

10 replies
KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 28 Mar 2012 , 7:03pm
post #2 of 11

I go through Allstate (they do all my insurance) and I pay about $1000 a year (that is for a store front)

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 28 Mar 2012 , 7:04pm
post #3 of 11

We used The Hartford, premiums are $400-500 for a commercial kitchen rental (no storefront). State Farm should have similar premiums.

pastryqueen9 Posted 29 Mar 2012 , 1:12am
post #4 of 11

Thank you Jason_Kraft and KroyAK, both those rates sound really reasonable.

cakegrandma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegrandma Posted 29 Mar 2012 , 1:41am
post #5 of 11

I have had Travelers for about 6 years now and I found, after checking around, them to be the most reasonable. I would call around to different companies or speak to an agent that represents different companies and do a comparison. Make sure the limits and coverage are all the same to truly compare. Or as they say, "Apples to Apples."
Good luck, thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

heartsnsync Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heartsnsync Posted 29 Mar 2012 , 1:49am
post #6 of 11

I use State Farm for my home based bakery and it is $250.00 a year.

ncsmorris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ncsmorris Posted 29 Mar 2012 , 12:22pm
post #7 of 11

I use The Hartford as well - I have a home-based business. It's about $450 annually. There was a company (I can't remember which) that proposed a $250/year plan but the coverage was not the same. The $250 plan was business liability but did not cover anything if somone claimed to get ill from eating my product. That was important enough to me to pay the extra.

pastryqueen9 Posted 29 Mar 2012 , 2:29pm
post #8 of 11

Can anyone tell me how do I find out what level of insurance coverage that I will need? I'm not sure where to begin. icon_redface.gif

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 29 Mar 2012 , 2:39pm
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastryqueen9

Can anyone tell me how do I find out what level of insurance coverage that I will need? I'm not sure where to begin. icon_redface.gif

The best thing to do is talk to your insurance broker about what you plan on doing with your business, your current assets, and what other coverage you already have. $1M in general and product liability seems to be pretty standard, but if you have more than $1M in assets or plan to sell wholesale nationwide you may need more.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 29 Mar 2012 , 4:59pm
post #10 of 11

ditto

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 31 Mar 2012 , 2:54pm
post #11 of 11

I also have State Farm It's $250-$300 a year. They offer a policy specifically for small/home bakeries.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%