Bugs - Ladybirds, Bumblebees, Catapillars Etc Sugarpaste

Decorating By chasingmytail Updated 1 Apr 2012 , 7:00pm by Marianna46

chasingmytail Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chasingmytail Posted 28 Mar 2012 , 10:58am
post #1 of 2

I have made these little creatures before but they didnt look as fresh and perfect as others I have seen on the net. When using sugarpaste would you mix something with it like cmc or would you just use purely suagrpaste (regal ice). Mine were covered in fingerprints and looked dull. Do you use tweezers to get dots on (small eyes) and do you use edible glue? What about attaching the wings to the bumblebee as I had a right performance the last time!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Handmade-edible-garden-bug-ladybird-bee-etc-cake-topper-decorations-/280841563563?pt=Uk_Crafts_Cake_Decorating_MJ&hash=item4163762dab

Any tips appreciated or reference to good books advantage. Thanks

1 reply
Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 1 Apr 2012 , 7:00pm
post #2 of 2

I would either use fondant (sugarpaste) with a whole LOT of CMC or just straight gumpaste (flowerpaste). Fondant by itself is probably too soft for these figures. I've never been able to get small things like eyes and dots on figures with tweezers - I always end up just taking a deep breath and using my fingertips. I use the CMC + water glue for mine. To get the bee wings to stay up (and on), try making a couple of slits in the body to insert the wings into a little bit. If you need to clean your figures up a little bit, try brushing them with a soft paintbrush. If you use a sturdier paste, you probably won't have the same kind of problems with the fingerprints and the dull finish. Hope some of this helps.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%