Needing A Great Buttercream Recipe

Baking By TeresaR Updated 29 Mar 2012 , 8:11pm by cakeyouverymuch

TeresaR Posted 27 Mar 2012 , 2:31pm
post #1 of 6

I do not make cakes very often and have only made buttercream once to frost my daughter wedding cake( a very simple 3 stacked tiers decorated with ribbon and silk flowers). It was a crusting buttercream. I am in need of a good buttercream to frost cupcakes. Looking for a creamy type. Thank you for all your help with this.

5 replies
ddaigle Posted 27 Mar 2012 , 3:00pm
post #2 of 6

I use Butter Cream Dream found here in the recipe section. I use heavy whipping cream as my liquid. THe more you use...the creamier.

Sonya Posted 29 Mar 2012 , 4:33pm
post #3 of 6

Swiss Meringue Buttercream... I made my first batch last night ond OMG it is sooooo good. Silky smooth, creamy, not overly sweet just sweet enough, and not to much of a buttery taste. I really thought I wasnt going to like it because I like the really sweet buttercreams but wow SMBC rocks!

jamawoops Posted 29 Mar 2012 , 6:24pm
post #4 of 6

I kinda make my own as I go along, but what I found that's the easiest off the top of my head is:

2 sticks Crisco
2 cups unsalted butter (4 sticks)
2 bags powdered sugar (the 2lb bags)
French Vanilla Coffee Creamer (5 to 10 tablespoons)
Clear Vanilla Extract (optional)

Cream the crisco and butter together in a stand mixer with the paddle attachment. Add the powdered sugar 1 bag at a time and mix until incorporated, then add the creamer a tbsp at a time and mix until smooth. The longer you mix it, the creamier it will get.

Sometimes I will add a tsp or 2 of the vanilla extract after adding the creamer if I want a stronger vanilla taste. I highly recommend letting it sit a bit before adding more creamer and extract as the vanilla flavor intensifies while it sits. And sometimes I will use a stick of salted butter in place of one of the unsalted ones to tone down the overall sweetness. It just depends on my tastes for that day lol!

This makes a lot of icing. You can halve the recipe if you want, but I like to make more than what I need because I'm always afraid I'll run out of icing mid project and then not be able to match the taste exactly if I have to make more.

debidehm Posted 29 Mar 2012 , 7:40pm
post #5 of 6

I've never made the SMBC. Would this need to refrigerated once the cake is decorated?

cakeyouverymuch Posted 29 Mar 2012 , 8:11pm
post #6 of 6

Quote by @%username% on %date%