How I Made My Ranunculus

Decorating By Floralilie Updated 21 Sep 2012 , 2:20pm by Floralilie

Floralilie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Floralilie Posted 26 Mar 2012 , 6:37pm
post #1 of 22

When I've posted photos of my ranunculus in the gallery, I was asked if I could explain how I did it.

Unfortunately there was not enough space at the comments, so I will try it here. I hope this is the right place for it! icon_smile.gif

Here is my short "how-to":
I used self-made cutters made of aluminum plate (formed like a triangle) and the poppy veiner from great impression for the white flower.
The yellow one was made with a five-petal-rose-cutter und the rose petal-DPM veiner.

Center:
First I pushed a 18-gauge wire into a gumpaste ball. Next I rolled white gumpaste out extremley thin.( Very important)
The first two petals were glued around the ball in opposite position, overlapping each other on top of the ball. Then I colored them with green petal dust (ginko form EdAbel Art)

The whole is repeated with two more petals, only that they were glued transversely to the others without overlapping at the top.
I made two more rows in the green color, every row a little bit lighter green. The petals should be glued very tight around the ball.

White petal rows:
Next I took a larger cutter and glued the following row of white petals in a way, that the petals extend beyond the green petals.

The petals should be arranged as roof tiles or fish scales, but in the same level.
Go on in that way until you have enough petals (check with photo) then place the the further outer leaves so that they are somewhat lower.
Unfortunately, there are very many petals!

Finally cut out the calyx from green gumpaste, curl the leaves with a ball-tool and stick it under the flower.

Stem: Wrap the wire and a piece of pipe cleaner with floral tape. Color it with petal dust in different green shades.

I hope my description was helpful and understandable despite my poor English! icon_rolleyes.gif

21 replies
shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 26 Mar 2012 , 6:58pm
post #2 of 22

Thanks so much for the "how-to." I had a look at your gallery, and your work is just fantastic!

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 26 Mar 2012 , 9:54pm
post #3 of 22

Dein Englisch ist fabelhaft. (Fast so gut wie die Blumen!)

Thank you for taking the time to write out an explanation. If you make any more of these flowers, would it be possible to take step-by-step photos to add to your explanation on this thread?

I did an online search and NONE of the gum paste ranunculus were as nice as yours. (Not even a site where a professional charges $200 for a class on how to make them!)

For others reading this thread, here is a link to her gallery photos of these stunning flowers:
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2295223/ranunculus

merry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
merry Posted 27 Mar 2012 , 12:08am
post #4 of 22

The ranunculus flowers are stunning! The best I have ever,ever seen.....Thank you for sharing.

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 27 Mar 2012 , 2:58am
post #5 of 22

These are really fantastic! Thank you for sharing, I too would love to see a photo tutorial icon_biggrin.gif

Such beautiful flowers!

Gerle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gerle Posted 27 Mar 2012 , 3:24am
post #6 of 22

Thank you very much for sharing. The written instructions are very good, but I'm more of a visual learner. So I agree with Apti that when/if you make more of these, please furnish us with step-by-step photos, if possible. And please don't think we aren't grateful for what you've provided, because we are. Every little instruction is helpful for learning new techniques and your willingness to share is appreciated more than you know. I just hope my flowers turn out as beautiful as yours!

Floralilie Posted 28 Mar 2012 , 9:31pm
post #7 of 22

Thank you for your compliments! You make me very proud! icon_smile.gif

Apti, your German is very good too! I got myself a little help from the google translator and an english tutorial book for sugar flowers! icon_wink.gif

I'll agree that photos are best. But it's not easy to take pictures while working, because you must work quickly when the gumpaste is so thin. I need three to four hours for one ranunculus even without taking pictures

Some other tutorials can be found on my website, although they are in german, they have photos! icon_biggrin.gif

The next time I make a ranunculus, I'll be thinking of you! icon_smile.gif

dcarylmk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dcarylmk Posted 28 Mar 2012 , 9:44pm
post #8 of 22

Quick question - How many rows of petals did you use? Thank you! Your flowers are beautiful!!!!

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 29 Mar 2012 , 12:25am
post #9 of 22

Floralilie~~~hee hee hee, I used Google translate!

I am learning Spanish, however. Once in a while when I need to practice, I'll answer on the Spanish forum here on CakeCentral. I often have to use Google translate, but it is teaching me new words about our hobby!

Gerle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gerle Posted 29 Mar 2012 , 12:47am
post #10 of 22

Floralilie, I accessed your website and I do have google, and it translated it for me. There were a few words that didn't come out in English, but I got the jist of what you were doing. I plan on trying the other flowers you made tutorials of on there. Thanks again for sharing!

Floralilie Posted 29 Mar 2012 , 7:18am
post #11 of 22

Dcarylmk, I have not counted the rows while working. But I think there are 11 or 12 rows.

Apti! how funny! icon_lol.gif

Gerle, I'm very glad that you could understand the tutorials! Perhaps there will be added a ranunculus tutorial in the future! icon_wink.gif
(And of course in English, because I have already the text!)

On my website I have also collected many links to flower tutorials in English.

CyberKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CyberKat Posted 30 Mar 2012 , 4:49pm
post #12 of 22

Floralilie, thank you so much for the "how-to"!
your flowers are beautiful! and the tutorials on your website are also fantastic - thank you!!
would it be possible, to see a picture of the cutter you used for making the ranunculus?
that would be great!! icon_biggrin.gif

Floralilie Posted 30 Mar 2012 , 5:49pm
post #13 of 22

Ok, that's no problem! icon_biggrin.gif

But first, thank you for your appreciation CyberKat! icon_smile.gif

My selfmade cutters are a little bit shabby, but they have done their job!
LL

Floralilie Posted 30 Mar 2012 , 5:55pm
post #14 of 22

And in this picture I show the arrangement of the petals with ​​paper. I hope that this makes it clearer! icon_smile.gif
LL

CyberKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CyberKat Posted 30 Mar 2012 , 7:21pm
post #15 of 22

Wow, super, Floralilie!!
Thanks for the pics thumbs_up.gif

Prima Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Prima Posted 31 Mar 2012 , 1:28pm
post #16 of 22

Wow, such amazing flowers! Ranunculus are one of my favorites, and yours are by far the best I've seen. Thank you so much for the step-by-step tutorial. I will definitely be trying these soon. One question, how long did you allow your outer petals to dry before adhering to your center? Do you want them to be firm (ie dried on a former or spoon), or flexible? I'm also assuming these petals are not wired, and just the center is. Am I correct?

Thanks again! I am sure this forum, and your lovely work, will be a favorite of many. Look forward to seeing your future work (and more tutorials icon_biggrin.gif ).

Floralilie Posted 2 Apr 2012 , 12:37pm
post #17 of 22

I'm sorry that I answer so late, but I'm right now in vacation and have sometimes no Internet! icon_sad.gif

Yes you are correct, Prima! The petals are not wired, and just the center is.

I attached the petals directly, without drying them first. The flower paste is so thin that it will be firm and stable very fast.

For the middle rows of petals I hung the flower upside down and for the lowest rows I've stuck the wire horizontally in floral foam. Just control with the help of a photo or a real ranunkel, that the petals are in the right direction.

Thank you also for your endearing words! It is nice to be greeted so friendly! icon_smile.gif

gigiel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gigiel Posted 21 Sep 2012 , 3:41am
post #18 of 22

I am replying in order to save this tutorial. These are heavenly. Thank you Floralilie. How very kind of you to teach us all how to make this flower your way!!! Lovely!!!

osikodede Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
osikodede Posted 21 Sep 2012 , 5:00am
post #19 of 22

Stunning. Thanks for taking the time to share this. Bless you xo

sharonk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sharonk Posted 21 Sep 2012 , 5:12am
post #20 of 22

your flowers are beautiful!

vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 21 Sep 2012 , 8:51am
post #21 of 22

Thank you so much!

Floralilie Posted 21 Sep 2012 , 2:20pm
post #22 of 22

You're welcome! icon_smile.gif
I am very pleased that you can use the manual and that you like my sugarflowers! This is great!

In my opinion it's the purpose of a forum to share experiences! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%