It's Rare You Find A Cake That Just Leaves You Awestruck...

Decorating By CiNoRi Updated 26 Mar 2012 , 4:15pm by QTCakes1

CiNoRi Posted 26 Mar 2012 , 2:59pm
post #1 of 6

I just ran across this cake online... and im speechless.... Anyone know how this might have been done?

5 replies
AnnieCahill Posted 26 Mar 2012 , 3:22pm
post #2 of 6

To me it looks like it's all piped on there with royal icing, using various tip widths. I was looking at the third tier from the top on the left and noticed that the outline is very wide, which made me think that it was like a quilled pattern (could have been piped with a flat tip). But then if you look at the other outlines they are not all even like you see in a typical quilled pattern. So I think it's royal icing. The more closely I look the more I am positive it's been piped. You can see the unevenness in some of the outlines where the decorator's hand was a bit unsteady. Some of them may have been piped before and then applied to the cake-especially the designs that are sticking above the edges. The blue/green part I have no clue as I can't see it well at all. But it certainly is a very pretty cake.

AnnieCahill Posted 26 Mar 2012 , 3:31pm
post #3 of 6
Spuddysmom Posted 26 Mar 2012 , 4:07pm
post #4 of 6

I think the pieces that sort of look like an aplique' (sp?) were done ahead in royal, as were the little flowers; after they were applied to the cake, then the dots were hand piped.

CiNoRi Posted 26 Mar 2012 , 4:14pm
post #5 of 6

Nice Annie, thanks for the good find!

QTCakes1 Posted 26 Mar 2012 , 4:15pm
post #6 of 6

If I am looking at it right, it is just lace mold cut outs, piped over. It's actually pretty easy. I love how some of these cakes can have a very over the top look, but when it comes right down to the technique, it's not as hard as it may seem.

Quote by @%username% on %date%