Does Anyone Know What This Was?

Decorating By pounds6 Updated 12 Apr 2012 , 3:59am by pounds6

pounds6 Posted 26 Mar 2012 , 1:18pm
post #1 of 11

I went to a 40th birthday party. The host ordered the cake from a friend of hers. It was beautiful but I didnt look like my cakes for some reason. When we cut it I found that what looked like fondant was some paper thin substance. It didnt have muc stretch to it and it wasnt sweet. Whoever made it must have run it through a printer cause the zebra stripes were printed on it. Does anyone know what this might have been? I havent worked with sugarveil but I didnt think it came in sheets or that you could print on it.

10 replies
AnnieCahill Posted 26 Mar 2012 , 1:22pm
post #2 of 11

I think Wilton has sugar sheets, as well as Duff. I could be wrong though. Did it cover the entire cake? Or was it just around the sides? I have never worked with the sheets before.

pounds6 Posted 26 Mar 2012 , 1:47pm
post #3 of 11

It covered the entire cake. The bow on top and borders were all made with it too. I tried attaching a photo of it but im getting an error about pixels or something.

BlakesCakes Posted 26 Mar 2012 , 5:22pm
post #4 of 11

Probably the pre-printed Wilton or Luck's sugar sheets.

You can find them at Wilton.com

Rae

shanter Posted 26 Mar 2012 , 7:49pm
post #5 of 11

Or wafer paper.

shanter Posted 26 Mar 2012 , 7:49pm
post #6 of 11

Or wafer paper. Or edible rice paper. Both are very like paper, rather than icing.

kakeladi Posted 26 Mar 2012 , 9:56pm
post #7 of 11

Wafer paper and rice paper are one and the same thing.
The newest form is what is being sold as 'sugar sheets'.
Most of them come pre-printed with many different patterns.

shanter Posted 26 Mar 2012 , 11:01pm
post #8 of 11

The way it was explained to me by a cake expert was that edible rice paper is made of rice flour. Wafer paper is often made from potato starch. But essentially they act alike.

KoryAK Posted 27 Mar 2012 , 1:33am
post #10 of 11

Was it smoothed over the cake (top and sides) or were the top and sides possibly applied separately (as evidenced by a very crisp corner with a seam showing or a border covering said seam)? It's probably the edible imaging sheets, I have used them like that before with intricate patterns. It's great! The only thing I don't like is the size limitation of each piece, so I try to sell the customers on square cakes.

pounds6 Posted 12 Apr 2012 , 3:59am
post #11 of 11

I got a chance to take a look and I know exactly what it was now...the preprinted sugar sheets. I must be honest, it tasted awful and I would never use them on a cake. Perhaps as a accent on fondant or something but not to cover the entire cake with. Thanks for all your input. It was a new one on me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%