Newb - Wasc Cake Stuck To Pan!

Decorating By soapmaker-sue Updated 27 Mar 2012 , 3:32pm by soapmaker-sue

soapmaker-sue Posted 26 Mar 2012 , 3:46am
post #1 of 8

I am just starting out baking and decorating cakes. I tried out the WASC - it was divine. It stuck to both my pans!!! I greased (crisco) and floured every millimeter of both my pans. The first pan I tried to get it out after it had cooled about 15 minutes and was still warm. The second cake I let cool completely. The top of both cakes was pretty sticky/tacky. They were baked until they just started to brown and sprang back when touched. In some of the decorating videos I have watched, the bakers had put paper in the bottom of the pans. Should I be doing this? What kind of paper is it? Am I not baking long enough? Am I not timing the removal of the cake from the pan right?

I am sure there are answers to this somewhere but I couldn't find them. Please help me. Today's project wasn't a total loss as I was making pink birthday cake to put in push up pop thingies. My daughter thought the Pepto-Bismal pink scraps were delicious!

Thanks for your help!
Susan

7 replies
KoryAK Posted 26 Mar 2012 , 5:05am
post #2 of 8

Line the bottom of your pans with parchment paper and they will come out like a dream every time icon_smile.gif

FlourPots Posted 26 Mar 2012 , 5:09am
post #3 of 8

That paper in the video was either parchment paper or wax paper...

For me, parchment is the only one I'll use...absolutely nothing sticks to it.
I use it when I bake anything, not just cakes.

You might also find this thread helpful: http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=726166&highlight=collaring

I remove my cakes from their pan at about 10 minutes out of the oven...that's not set in stone though, it could be a little longer or shorter sometimes.

funtodecorate2 Posted 26 Mar 2012 , 5:15am
post #4 of 8

I had some problems with the cakes sticking to the sides . I do line the bottom of pans with parchment and this last time I sprayed the sides with pam and cut strips and lined the sides as well. No more tearing and got real nice smoothe sides. It only seems to be with the wasc recipe. Maybe because it is so moist. Great flavor .

KoryAK Posted 26 Mar 2012 , 5:41am
post #5 of 8

You can always run a knife around the sides if needed

soapmaker-sue Posted 26 Mar 2012 , 4:21pm
post #6 of 8

Thank you for all the replies! Next time I will use parchment paper.

On a few videos, I saw people refrigerate before and after they put on their crumb coat. I can understand why you would want to refrigerate after the crumb coat. Does refrigerating before help as well?

Thanks!
Susan

kakeladi Posted 26 Mar 2012 , 10:23pm
post #7 of 8

........On a few videos, I saw people refrigerate before and after they put on their crumb coat. I can understand why you would want to refrigerate after the crumb coat..........

There is NO need for frig'ing either time if the crumb coat is right. As someone who has decorated for over 30 yrs, I do not understand where this idea came from and why it still persists icon_sad.gif
An easy way to make crumb coat icing is to take a small amount of b'cream in a microwave safe bowl; (about 1/4 cup or less - depending on the size of the cake you are covering & Depending on the icing recipe used you may want to stir in a tiny bit of water.) 'nuke' it for say 10 seconds. Watch through the door until it *just starts* to melt like ice cream. You do NOT want it to get *hot* - just melt. Any unmelted part will be stirred out. Work quickly to pour it over the cake and spread it all over - working as quickly as possible. Once the cake is covered it will look somewhat like a glazed donut - a thin, see through covering. You will be a ble to tell if any spot on the cake is not covered. It will dry to the touch within seconds - one minute at most.
Any leftover melted b'cream canNOT be re-used so don't melt too much at a time.

soapmaker-sue Posted 27 Mar 2012 , 3:32pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks! I will have to try that. It sounds much more efficient than the whole fridge/freezer thing!

Thanks again!
Susan

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%