Mini Cupcake Pans Best Brand, Sizes, Etc.

Baking By rubiarubia Updated 6 Apr 2012 , 2:54pm by fundant1

rubiarubia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rubiarubia Posted 26 Mar 2012 , 3:23am
post #1 of 14

So I normally just do cakes, sometimes cupcakes, but have an event coming up that I will need to do mini cupcakes for. As I'm figuring this won't be the last time, I'm looking to invest in some decent mini cupcake pans. I use Fat Daddio and Magic Line for my cake pans, so I'm looking for something of comparable quality, but can't seem to find an obvious choice in looking online.

What mini cupcake pans do you use? And what are the measurements, more or less (ounces and/or dimensions)? The ones I'm finding are about 3/4" high, 1" wide at the bottom, more or less, but there seems to be quite the variety! Can you cupcakers help me out? Thanks!

13 replies
rubiarubia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rubiarubia Posted 27 Mar 2012 , 5:24am
post #2 of 14

Anybody anybody? I just need some feedback on brands, really, there seems to be a big difference in prices out there, and I'm wondering if there's much difference in quality. Thanks!!

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 27 Mar 2012 , 11:19am
post #3 of 14

You're right, there's a huge variety of mini-muffin/cupcake pans, both in size and quality. If you're near a restaurant or bakery supply store, or a big box discount store such as Target, or WalMart, I suggest you look at the different pans. If you want to use paper liners, that will cut down on your choices since liners don't come in all the different sizes to fit each pan.

When I started baking many years ago I bought several heavy weight 24-cup pans. They have held up well but I find them quite heavy and bought a few cheapo 12-cup pans. Those are holding up, too. I never use my heavy weight pans anymore.

usshanebond12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
usshanebond12 Posted 30 Mar 2012 , 6:42pm
post #4 of 14

Nordic ware cake baking pans are working great for me. I got it from cooksdirect.com. Nordic ware, they are selling mini cup cake pans and if I am correct I saw variety of cake pans in affordable price and I selected some. They are working nice and well.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 1 Apr 2012 , 6:41am
post #5 of 14

I'm in the process myself. I have quite a few WS Goldtouch pans for mini tarts, brownies, etc., but they are too small for mini cupcakes. Because I am so particular about my pans and their effect on the final baked product, I have bought four different brands to start. One is here and I'm waiting for the other three to arrive. I have a large corporate order for minis this month, so I will be testing the pans this week. When I get the results, I'll post them.

I have Pampered Chef, Cuisinart, Calphalon, and something else to try. Amazon says my order will be in on Monday and the Pampered Chef should be any day. I gave my Wilton ones away years ago. They just couldn't measure up.

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 1 Apr 2012 , 9:39pm
post #6 of 14

SCP1127, did you know that Williams Sonoma seems to have a "standard" mini cupcake pan now? I think it used to be bigger than minis long ago, but I've read the reviews and I think they're now the same size as all the others out there.

Those pans are really the best out there, so I'm going to go check them as soon as I can. Let me know if you find out anything about them sooner? The only non-Goldtouch pans I have is the mini-trays, and I would replace them in no time if Goldtouch are standard now.

To the OP: Goldtouch. There's nothing better out there.

scp1127 Posted 2 Apr 2012 , 5:50am
post #8 of 14

Imagn, I read that too. So when the corporate order came in a month ago, I spent $60.00 to see if they had changed. But they matched my old pans perfectly. Believe me, I was disappointed. I kept them and now have four, but my dessert buffet business is growing so I'll get to use these pans when they count... on mini pies and other desserts that don't use a liner.

My liners fit the Calphalon. Pampered Chef is being picked up tomorrow and my Amazon order comes in Tuesday. I'm waiting to put the same batter in the pans and use the same oven.

The other day I had to use my one WS non-Goldtouch regular muffin pan because I was so busy. The cupcakes were smaller, like they shrunk a little. Still great, but not fantastic. I put that pan away for good. I'm really dreading trying the new pans for the little ones. And buying one or two of everything just to test gets pricey. Oh well, my daughters love my free cast-offs. Once I find the right one, I'll stock up.

I'm also going to use Mimi's suggestion and go to our kitchen supply store to get a heavy one to compare.

imagenthatnj Posted 2 Apr 2012 , 2:51pm
post #9 of 14

Thanks, SCP. For a moment, I was hopeful that the only bad review (based on size of wells...crazy) was right and that I would be able to complete my collection. Hope you find a good substitution for the Goldtouch.

scp1127 Posted 3 Apr 2012 , 7:10am
post #10 of 14

I better figure it out. the event is next week. But the good news is that I have been mentioning it to some other corporate accounts and they seem interested. Plus I have never offered them on a dessert buffet, so the research is needed.

momg9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momg9 Posted 3 Apr 2012 , 1:40pm
post #11 of 14

I just bought a couple of Wilton mini cupcake pans at Michaels for some minis I had to do for a shower. Using my 40% off coupons they were only about $4 each. They work great and the mini papers from the grocery store fit fine. The cupcakes came out great.

usshanebond12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
usshanebond12 Posted 6 Apr 2012 , 12:55pm
post #12 of 14

Good try scp. You may get help from those corporate accounts before next week. Furnish your dessert recipe here after offering them. I would love to make the same.

Cristi-Tutty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cristi-Tutty Posted 6 Apr 2012 , 1:41pm
post #13 of 14

I have been making mini cupcakes for my kids for quite some time. I use the food network mini cupcakes.
They work really good for me
http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/zbrandskiosk/kitchen/foodnetwork_new/bake/PRD~371174/Food+Network+Nonstick+Mini+Muffin+Pan.jsp

fundant1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fundant1 Posted 6 Apr 2012 , 2:54pm
post #14 of 14

I just got a wilton mini cupcake pan. I had not used wilton before - having bought other pans thinking they were of a better quality. But my experience with this wilton pan has been very positive. It is a very sturdy pan and the mini's have come out even. It was not particularly expensive - but this purchase will make me consider their other pans in the future.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%