Damp Weather And Fondant Figure?

Decorating By susanscakecreations Updated 26 Mar 2012 , 4:41am by l_rock

susanscakecreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanscakecreations Posted 25 Mar 2012 , 3:57pm
post #1 of 4

Question..........does damp weather have an effect on fondant figures? I made a Mickey Mouse out of fondant, and it seemed to dry just fine, and since it has rained the past two days, it is wanting to fall apart!!!!!!!!! That's the only thing I can think of............I had it 'glued' together with piping gel, and now it's not staying together!!!!!!!!!!!! Any suggestions??????? Thanks!

3 replies
Kmm0880 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kmm0880 Posted 25 Mar 2012 , 4:15pm
post #2 of 4

I have used melted chocolate before to "glue" fondant pieces together, it worked well. I would try and get off as much of the piping gel before though. Hope this helps icon_smile.gif

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 25 Mar 2012 , 4:32pm
post #3 of 4

Fondant and humidity are deadly enemies! I live in a very humid place and I would never make figures out of pure fondant. Or rather, I did it once and here's what happened:
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1356289/victorias-christening
Those stubby little angels on the top started out as tall thin ones! This wasn't a disaster, fortunately, but after that I have always used either gumpaste or fondant with a dollop of shortening, a whole lot of CMC and some extra powdered sugar worked into it to make my figures. And I agree with Kmm0880 about the melted chocolate - it's the best glue there is for figures, and piping gel is probably the worst (although it might be good for attanching flat fondant/gumpaste decorations to a cake).

l_rock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
l_rock Posted 26 Mar 2012 , 4:41am
post #4 of 4

susanscakecreations i feel your pain - i think we all find out the hard way (at some stage) that moisture and fondant/sugar paste aren't friends... there is nothing worse than getting up the next day to see your hard work falling apart.
i find there are two options - if you can put it back together.
1. put it in your oven with just the light on - no heat! with the light on it it gets rid of the moisture and lets any sugar glue you might use dry/set.
2.place the figure in a box or container with those moisture absorbing packets (you usually get them in shoe boxes) - it does the same thing it just takes longer than option 1.
hope this helps icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%