Silly Questions !

Business By sweet_cravings Updated 25 Mar 2012 , 4:07pm by Apti

sweet_cravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_cravings Posted 25 Mar 2012 , 7:17am
post #1 of 3

I'm totally new in taking orders.. 1st wedding order is in pipeline. Not sure yet but thought to ask few silly questions...
1) The supplies/tools you use to keep ur cake in place (pillars, base etc). Do you get it back after the wedding party is done .. or it comes back to you & then u can re-use it...
2) What are the popular combinations of cake flavor & filling for wedding cakes
3) What is the serving cost usually? I'm planning to make 3-4 tired cake with Satin Ice fondant & LOTS of flowers.. Design yet not decided though...
Thanks !!!

2 replies
debidehm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debidehm Posted 25 Mar 2012 , 7:44am
post #2 of 3

* If you use pillars and the bases, yes...they should come back to you. I personally would add a deposit to those to cover the cost of them if they aren't returned since they can be re-used.

* Cake flavors would be based on what your customer wants. Different people, different tastes!! Same with fillings.

* Price per serving depends on your cost/overhead etc. Also location (state you live in) plays a factor.

I might not have been much help, but I thought I would toss out what little I know! icon_smile.gif

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 25 Mar 2012 , 4:07pm
post #3 of 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet_cravings

I'm totally new in taking orders.. 1st wedding order is in pipeline. Not sure yet but thought to ask few silly questions...
1) The supplies/tools you use to keep ur cake in place (pillars, base etc). Do you get it back after the wedding party is done .. or it comes back to you & then u can re-use it...
2) What are the popular combinations of cake flavor & filling for wedding cakes
3) What is the serving cost usually? I'm planning to make 3-4 tired cake with fondant & LOTS of flowers.. Design yet not decided though...
Thanks !!!

Congratulations on your new endeavor! Unfortunately, making and decorating the cakes is not the only part, business details and research are needed to make the endeavor profitable.

I assume you do not have a contract because the return of re-usable supplies would be covered in a contract. Do a search for contracts here on CC and online and you'll come up with some great templates.

re: Pricing. Unfortunately, no one here on CC can answer that question. We don't know your geographic area, your ingredients, your skill level (learning? average? superb?), etc. Here's an excellent link to a software program that many, many people use with great success:
http://www.cakeboss.com/PricingGuideline.aspx

Flavors? Again, do online searches and searches here on CC. Look at websites for bakers that sell cakes. You'll see a LOT of flavor combinations, but if you google ?Coupon=CC2015"most popular wedding cake flavor", you may find that white and chocolate are the most popular, you may find that red velvet and blood orange are popular--you won't know until you do some research.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%