ailika Posted 23 Mar 2012 , 7:26pm
post #1 of

Someone asked me to make 150 to 175 RV cupcakes. Asked me how much I would charge them if they provide me with all the supplies and how much I would charge if I supply everything. It would be my first time doing an order like this. Can anyone please guide me through this? I have to let them know by Sunday.

4 replies
Moovaughan Posted 23 Mar 2012 , 8:01pm
post #2 of

Do not get caught in that trap, the supplies are not the biggest expense... your time is! I would never give a quote like that, we know how much time goes into each cake and cupcake but most people don't appreciate or understand how we establish our pricing. I would graciaously give her the price for her 170-175 cupcakes fully decorated, and that leave it at that.

pmarks0 Posted 23 Mar 2012 , 8:03pm
post #3 of

If you regularly charge $2.50 for a cupcake with a swirl on top, then you would charge $375 to $437.50 for the order. If your cupcake has more complicated decorating, then the price will go up. Whatever you charge for your cupcakes, just do the mulitplication. Just because it's a large order, don't think you have to discount it in some way, unless this is a guaranteed repeating order over a period of time.

If you know the cost for supplies for you would be $50 for that order (as an example), then deduct that from the overall price and charge the difference.

Some people think that they'll save money if they buy the ingredients for the cake/cupcakes. However, are they buying the same quality ingredient that you would buy? And if not, is it going to compromise your product and possible your reputation.

Personally, unless it was a family member, I wouldn't be allowing a customer to provide any supplies. If they want my product, then they buy my product..

The_Sugar_Fairy Posted 23 Mar 2012 , 8:20pm
post #4 of

I agree with pmarks0. For cupcakes with just the swirl, I think $30 per dozen is a good price. icon_smile.gif

ailika Posted 25 Mar 2012 , 3:28am
post #5 of

Thank you Ladies icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%