Salted Vs Unsalted

Baking By khewston Updated 21 Apr 2012 , 6:30pm by msulli10

khewston Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
khewston Posted 23 Mar 2012 , 5:33pm
post #1 of 7

I just tried a new recipe, which called for3 sticks of unsalted butter. By accident, one of the sticks, I put in was salted. The cake is now in the oven ( yellow cake), and it is getting VERY brown. It also spilled over the sides and made a mess in my oven. Was this because I used the wrong butter?

6 replies
MsGF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MsGF Posted 23 Mar 2012 , 5:51pm
post #2 of 7

I highly doubt the butter is the cause of the browning or spilling over. I use salted and unsalted in my baking with no problem. Maybe it spilled over because the pan wasn't deep enough or large enough. I had that happen once, the spilling over, and it was because my oven wasn't heating evenly. Haven't had that happen again since purchasing a new oven.

Check your oven by purchasing an oven thermometer, they are cheap, also use a deeper or larger pan next time. Maybe the one you used didn't give it enough room to rise properly.

Hope that helped a bit. Good Luck & Happy Baking

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 23 Mar 2012 , 7:22pm
post #3 of 7

Did you over fill the pan? It's definitely not the butter.

KimmW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimmW Posted 21 Apr 2012 , 4:47pm
post #4 of 7

Aside from the problems the OP had, do all of you use salted or unsalted butter in your cakes & icings?

TIA!
Kimm

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 21 Apr 2012 , 5:18pm
post #5 of 7

I use unsalted always.

ickworthpark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ickworthpark Posted 21 Apr 2012 , 5:32pm
post #6 of 7

I always use salted!

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 21 Apr 2012 , 6:30pm
post #7 of 7

For cakes I use whatever I have on hand, but for buttercream icings I use what the recipe recommends.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%