Fondant Problems!

Decorating By lynnfrompa Updated 27 Mar 2012 , 8:13am by siuingme

lynnfrompa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lynnfrompa Posted 23 Mar 2012 , 12:07pm
post #1 of 12

At this point in time I am really hating fondant. I have tried making MMF and rolled buttercream and I follow the directions exactly. They either come out really soft and won't hold shape(mmf) or are so greasy and crumbly at the same time (rolled buttercream) I am ready to call it quits and just work with modeling chocolate.

Do you have a recipe that you love and has always worked for you or do you buy pre-made? If you do buy yours, what brand do you like the most?

11 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 23 Mar 2012 , 1:01pm
post #2 of 12

I don't like rolled buttercream. It feels like a nasty, greasy mess.

When your MMF is soft, are you letting it rest and firm up overnight before you try to use it? That's really important.

This is the recipe I use:
1 lb marshmallows
2 lb powdered sugar
3 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon clear vanilla

Melt the marshmallows with the water. Stir in the vanilla. Pour into ungreased mixer (kitchen aid) bowl. Sift powdered sugar into the bowl. Mix with dough hook on lowest setting, or on 2, until it starts to stick to the sides of the bowl and looks mixed. Scrape it out of the bowl onto a mat sprayed with pam spray, spray the top of the fondant with the pam spray, and stick it in a ziplock bag overnight.

I used to use some butter in it, but it works a lot better without.

Panel7124 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Panel7124 Posted 23 Mar 2012 , 1:07pm
post #3 of 12

If you'd like to try this one, you're welcome. It's a modified version of rolled fondant recipe from Wilton's website, through trial and error I've got a good consistency and great tasting homemade fondant. Use it on all my cakes.

12 g clear unflavoured gelatine (sheets)
120 ml water
15 ml (1 Tbsp) liquid cane sugar
105 ml (7 Tbsp) glucose (Wilton, Dr.Oetker or Karo syrup - the red one, not Lite)
30 ml (2 Tbsp) edible glycerine
15 ml (1 Tbsp) sunflower oil
30 g vegetable shortening (I use 50 sunflower/50 palm)
50 g white eating chocolate
vanilla flavouring or any other you like
750 g - 1 kg pure powdered sugar

It yields about 1,1 - 1,2 kg fondant, depends on how much sugar you use. The recipe can be halved, doubled, tripled (except for water) - as you wish. It takes maximum 5 min to make (+10 waiting for the gelatine to absorb water). Costs-wise: store bought fondant costs me three times more here and always have to order on-line.

Put gelatine and water in a small saucepan and let absorb all the water (usually 5 - 10 min). Add liquid cane sugar, glucose and heat on a double boiler till all the gelatine is dissolved. Add glycerine, oil, shortening, chocolate and flavourings. Let the mixture cool for 1 min stirring constantly and add to the PS. I usually put just 1/2 kg of PS to the bowl to start with, add the liquid mixture and mix well, then add more sugar till the consistency is right.

The original Wilton version was gummy (too much gelatine). I often have trouble to get glucose here, so substitute it partially with liquid Sucrisse which is inverted sugar (Swiss product - it's great, especially the vanilla version!, you can see it at www.sucrisse.ch if you're interested). It comes in two versions: clear and flavoured (vanilla). So my go-to recipe is 15 ml liquid cane sugar, 30 ml clear Sucrisse, 45 ml vanilla flavoured Sucrisse and 30 ml glucose or Karo syrup + other ingredients. I've written the all-glucose recipe first for you (don't think you'd get Sucrisse in the US but who knows). You can also substitute 15 ml of liquid cane sugar with additional 15 ml glucose but add another 15 ml water. You can add more white chocolate if you want, maximum I tried was 100 g/batch. For red fondant I use Wilton red candy melts instead of white chocolate (+ pink and red gel colors). If you want the fondant more white, you can add a drop of violet gel color and use coconut fat or another type of white colored shortening. Fondant can be used immediately, but I usually let it sit at least 2 hours or overnight on the counter.

Unfortunately I'm not able to get any other than Regalice fondant here, so that's my only choice. Regalice is disgusting, bad smelling, has play-doh taste and is too pliable (just my opinion, hope not to offend any UK CC members). I tried many recipies, even MFF from this site but didn't like it (not keen on cream/milk and butter in it, fondant comes out too yellowish). MMF is not an option, people are not used to the taste of it and on the only occasion I tried to make it, it was quite hard to work with (and I don't eat marshmallows either).

MsGF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MsGF Posted 23 Mar 2012 , 1:33pm
post #4 of 12

I think making fondant sucks. Sorry just my own opinion based on personal experience. LOL icon_smile.gif

I buy ready made fondant and gum paste. I use Satin Ice. It is always predictable, easy to work with and the taste isn't too bad. Making and decorating a cake is enough work and takes enough time without adding in fondant making too. I have made MMF but didn't feel it was worth the effort.

Anyway that is only my opinion. Lot's of people like and even enjoy making fondant, I'm not one of them. And I'm ok with that. If it stresses you out and gives you a hard time, just buy some. Save yourself the aggravation.

Good Luck

soapy_hopie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soapy_hopie Posted 23 Mar 2012 , 1:44pm
post #5 of 12

I have been having a hard time with it to lately, it is too soft and then it is a little bit crumbly. I feel your pain I really do.

lynnfrompa Posted 23 Mar 2012 , 1:47pm
post #6 of 12

That is the recipe I use and yes, I let it rest overnight. I even try to add extra sugar the next day and it still is too soft. What I have to do sometimes to get it to work is refrigerate it and work with it cold, that doesn't work half the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

I don't like rolled buttercream. It feels like a nasty, greasy mess.

When your MMF is soft, are you letting it rest and firm up overnight before you try to use it? That's really important.

This is the recipe I use:
1 lb marshmallows
2 lb powdered sugar
3 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon clear vanilla

Melt the marshmallows with the water. Stir in the vanilla. Pour into ungreased mixer (kitchen aid) bowl. Sift powdered sugar into the bowl. Mix with dough hook on lowest setting, or on 2, until it starts to stick to the sides of the bowl and looks mixed. Scrape it out of the bowl onto a mat sprayed with pam spray, spray the top of the fondant with the pam spray, and stick it in a ziplock bag overnight.

I used to use some butter in it, but it works a lot better without.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 23 Mar 2012 , 1:59pm
post #7 of 12

If that's too soft, then use less water. Don't add sugar the next day. When I use three tablespoons of water, the fondant is firm enough the next day that I have to microwave it for a few seconds to get it soft enough to even be able to knead it.

I have used more water though, to be able to roll it thinner more easily. It still wasn't too soft to work with, just gets a little too stretchy.

Have you used any commercial fondant before, to know what consistency you're going for? It might help you know what you're trying to achieve.

lynnfrompa Posted 23 Mar 2012 , 3:07pm
post #8 of 12

No, I haven't tried commercial fondant. I found a place near me that has Wilton and Satin Ice... Going to go get some and play today!

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 24 Mar 2012 , 3:27am
post #9 of 12

This recipe works like a charm every time for me.

http://cakecentral.com/recipe/rhondas-ultimate-mmf

I don't know how you get greasy fondant. This recipe doesn't have any oils in it except the shortening you coat it with after you've mixed it and are ready to store it. You have to follow the recipe precisely for it to turn out.

lynnfrompa Posted 26 Mar 2012 , 10:53am
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth0209

I don't know how you get greasy fondant.

The rolled buttercream was always greasy, not the MMF.

I went and purchased a small container of Satin Ice and a small package of Wilton fondant. I found that after talking with my family we decided that we like the flavor of 1 but the way the other rolled out better. So we combined the 2 in a test and now I get the smoothness and the flavor I want and it even tastes good! icon_biggrin.gif

I'm going to go and try the recipes that were given to me to see how they work in comparison.

cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 26 Mar 2012 , 2:56pm
post #11 of 12

Things I've learned about making fondant:

1) never use Walmart's brand of either marshmallows or powdered sugar.

2) crumbly fondant that won`t hold together is usually the result of using marshmallows that are not fresh enough. If there`s a hole in the bag, don`t use them. If they don`t seem pillowy enough, don`t use them. I`ve bought marshmallows that were well before their best before date and they weren`t fresh enough for fondant because the bags weren`t sealed correctly. I save those for RCT.

3) like in real estate location, location, location is important to how your fondant turns out. When I llived in Quebec my fondant ALWAYS turned out perfect. I`d visit my mother in Manitoba and if I made fondant there it always turned out crappy. Now I`ve moved back to Manitoba and my fondant was always turning out crappy. I changed my recipe to use about half a cup less powdered sugar and its perfect again. I`m not sure, but I think the difference is in the degree of humidity.

4) if your fondant is not stretchy enough start adding a bit of Crisco. My original recipe called for 1/2 cup of Crisco. I have never managed to incorporate that much into the ricipe, but here in Manitoba I do find I'm using more than I did in Quebec.

I have never used store bought fondant. I love the process of making the fondant myself.

siuingme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
siuingme Posted 27 Mar 2012 , 8:13am
post #12 of 12

I'm using Satin Ice.
I tried Duff, I don't like it....too soft for me, maybe because I live in Hawaii.
Wilton was easy to use but taste awful.
I don't use MMF, we are vegetarian..and Satin Ice is vegan..means, no gelatin.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%