No Filling In Your Cake?

Decorating By mystsparkle Updated 23 Mar 2012 , 12:27pm by cakegirl123

mystsparkle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mystsparkle Posted 23 Mar 2012 , 1:57am
post #1 of 6

Not sure if i'm posting in the correct place:

But...a customer requested her cake to have no filling.... ?? She hasn't tried any of my cakes yet... But wanted a 2 tier cake...so each tier was going to be 4inch high.... But wouldn't it just be strange to have no filling?? It's also going to be covered in fondant..so not a lot of buttercream on the outside... I mentioned I usually always fill them...But would you still make the cake w/o the filling?

5 replies
cakegirl123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl123 Posted 23 Mar 2012 , 2:11am
post #2 of 6

She dosen't want filling but you would still put buttercream icing between the layers.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 23 Mar 2012 , 2:23am
post #3 of 6

You really need to clarify with your customer. Cake civilians sometimes think that filling means something fancy like fruit, jam, or ganache. We cake people know that *anything* between the layers is filling, even bc.

By saying "no filling" the customer may actually mean "only bc between the layers.

ReneeFLL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ReneeFLL Posted 23 Mar 2012 , 3:00am
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakegirl123

She dosen't want filling but you would still put buttercream icing between the layers.

As Leah said, even bc is considered a filling. It is always best to clarify and get in writing (as in a signed contract) exactly what the bride wants.

mystsparkle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mystsparkle Posted 23 Mar 2012 , 3:03am
post #5 of 6

Okay! That makes sense. Thanks! I will chat with her about it tomorrow!

cakegirl123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl123 Posted 23 Mar 2012 , 12:27pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReneeFLL

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakegirl123

As Leah said, even bc is considered a filling. It is always best to clarify and get in writing (as in a signed contract) exactly what the bride wants.

In my area, a filled cake has something between the layers other than icing like fruit, flavored creams, ganache etc. An unfilled cake is just cake and icing. (Even if the icing is between the tiers). Depends on where you live.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%