New Kitchenaid Mixer New

Baking By saygrace Updated 26 Mar 2012 , 1:00pm by Dayti

saygrace Posted 22 Mar 2012 , 11:05pm
post #1 of 5

So I finally purchased my kitchenaid mixer and was so excited but every cake that I've made has sunk in the middle and clung to the sides. icon_sad.gif This is my tried and true recipe which I used successfully for years with my Sunbeam Heritage Series mixer but I can't figure out this problem.

I have checked the date on the ingredients. I have decreased the mixing time. I have even tried to adjust the baking powder ratio but go figure. Maybe my eggs aren't left out at room temp enough? I have noticed that the egg seem not to mix well and is often at the bottom of the bowl so I stir the mixture in. My cake come out with bubbles on top, sunken in and overflowing on a side or two.

Does this sound familiar??? Please help. Box recipes come out fine icon_cry.gif

4 replies
Marianna46 Posted 25 Mar 2012 , 4:20am
post #2 of 5

Forget about the expiration date on your baking powder and go buy some new - it often loses its potency before it actually goes "bad" (whatever that means for baking powder). I don't think it's your mixer, especially if you've tried with less mixing time and boxed mixes come out all right.

cheatize Posted 25 Mar 2012 , 3:35pm
post #3 of 5

The only adjustment I had to make when I got my kitchen aid was mixing speed and mixing time. It's mixes faster (both time and speed) than a hand-held mix. I lowered my speed and watch it closer so I know when it's mixed properly.

mermaid1 Posted 25 Mar 2012 , 9:57pm
post #4 of 5

I just was gifted a kitchenaid but have not used it frequently, many people have reported issues with their KA, the one with 6.5 qts. Hiowever sunken cakes should not be an issue due to mixer.

Dayti Posted 26 Mar 2012 , 1:00pm
post #5 of 5

When you adjust the baking powder, are you increasing it? Too much BP can cause a cake to sink. You can try baking your cakes with an upturned flower nail in the centre of the pan, and bake-even strips around the edges. This should help your cake bake more evenly. I have no idea why this is happening to you though, if you are doing everything the same as you always have done. I think maybe you may be overmixing the batter once the flour has been added, if the KA is more powerful/faster than your previous mixer. And is your KA one of the ones where you can adjust the height of the beater/paddle? To make sure it reaches the bottom of the bowl? This will help you mix the ingredients more efficiently.

Quote by @%username% on %date%