Book Club Recommendations, Please?

Lounge By JGMB Updated 12 Apr 2012 , 11:44am by JGMB

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 22 Mar 2012 , 8:39pm
post #1 of 7

I've been asked to lead a Women's Book Club at our church. To be honest, I've never even attended a book club, so don't ask why I said yes!!! Can you all recommend some books that might be good for this? I assume there will be an age range of 35-75, and nothing too risque, please, as it will be a church group. However, I'm not really looking for a religious book, just something that would be interesting and generate a lot of discussion.

Thank you so much!!

Julie

6 replies
GarciaGM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GarciaGM Posted 23 Mar 2012 , 2:42am
post #2 of 7

I read "Bonhoeffer: Pastor, Martyr, Prophet, Spy" last fall and loved it. Such an inspirational and moving story. It's a monster though at over 600 pages, so you might just need a book club for support to get through it!! Hope that helps!

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 30 Mar 2012 , 5:32pm
post #3 of 7

Perhaps my favorite series of books are those written by James Herriot. He's the English vet who wrote the "All Creatures Great and Small" series. Lots of humor and wonderful, heart-warming stories. I've read all of them at least twice, and some of them three times!

JGMB Posted 30 Mar 2012 , 8:33pm
post #4 of 7

Thank you both for your ideas. icon_razz.gif We're starting out with The Glass House by Jeannette Walls -- my daughter's recommendation. I have 3 more books to choose, though, so I appreciate your input!!
Julie

Spooky_789 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spooky_789 Posted 31 Mar 2012 , 5:18pm
post #5 of 7

Often times, book clubs will follow various lists, like Oprah's book club or New York Times list.

You may even want to google book club recommendations. I've read several books that have questions at the end of the book for book club discussions.

coleslawcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coleslawcat Posted 12 Apr 2012 , 12:26am
post #6 of 7

Circle of Friends by Maeve Binchy
The Kitchen House by Kathleen Grissom
A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith
The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

We did the first two in my book club and I remember thinking the 2nd two would be great for the book club as I read them.

JGMB Posted 12 Apr 2012 , 11:44am
post #7 of 7

Thanks!!! icon_razz.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%