Make This Icing?

Decorating By Katiekatiekatie Updated 22 Mar 2012 , 8:54pm by carmijok

Katiekatiekatie Posted 22 Mar 2012 , 8:08pm
post #1 of 5

I know the topic of glitter is so beat down....so let me start by saying I have NO intention of putting plastic on my cupcakes. I found a product at Wakmart by cake mate called glitter icing shimmering pink. I want to replicate it anyone have suggestions? This stuff has the perfect sparkle!

4 replies
AnnieCahill Posted 22 Mar 2012 , 8:12pm
post #2 of 5

Katie,

Aren't those clear/colored gels? I don't see how you could get that to work with buttercream since it's opaque. Could you mix some of that with some piping gel and paint over your decorations? I can't find those on their website for some reason. I wonder if they stopped making them.

Katiekatiekatie Posted 22 Mar 2012 , 8:26pm
post #3 of 5

I just purchased it to check it out at home and it's not gel it's icing.... Hummmm

Katiekatiekatie Posted 22 Mar 2012 , 8:33pm
post #4 of 5

I contacted cake mate and they say that it's a new product that just came out in January. I am determined to figure out how to duplicate this on a larger scale!

carmijok Posted 22 Mar 2012 , 8:54pm
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiekatiekatie

I contacted cake mate and they say that it's a new product that just came out in January. I am determined to figure out how to duplicate this on a larger scale!

It's hard to imagine it without seeing it. I've seen the gel stuff and was not impressed as it was so loose it spread too much when trying to write with it.

Other than putting disco dust in your icing, I can't imagine how else to do something like this...and honestly I don't think I'd want glitter all the way through my icing...a little on top is fine...but not mixed in. Besides, if it's mixed in, very little will be sparkling on top.
Sorry I can't help with this!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%