Help!! Thickness Of Cake

Decorating By awtwcw1 Updated 22 Mar 2012 , 6:25pm by CWR41

awtwcw1 Posted 22 Mar 2012 , 5:45pm
post #1 of 3

OK fellow bakers...I recently finished 2 wilton classes...I have a friend who wants me to make a paul frank monkey cake in the shape of the head. My only concern would be chosing the correct size pan..I know I need to do it as a sheet cake & the cut out the shape from there...but the last 2 times I used my 11x14 wilton cake pan my recipe was good but super super thin like a cookie cake & it was a recipe for 11x14! SO please give me your words of wisdom..she asked to a box cake mix which I'd rather do from scratch but if I were to use a box how much should I do. I need it to be thick & big enough for 20 or so ppl...thanks! Ashley

2 replies
jenscreativity Posted 22 Mar 2012 , 6:08pm
post #2 of 3

I think this would be 4 boxes of mix, but not 100% sure..I just buy a few boxes and then make it, then put in pan till 1/2 inch from top of pan is full. If leftover batter, you can freeze/make cupcakes/use for cake pops. Doesn't hurt to have extra batter for other uses but if money is an issue for you..then you may need to look at back of the box and see measurements maybe or someone else can give you exact? I usually write down for pans on how many boxes(if using boxes(don't much anymore)) it once you do this, write it down for future use. It's nice to be of luck!

CWR41 Posted 22 Mar 2012 , 6:25pm
post #3 of 3

Would any of these help with your decision?[]=paul+frank+monkey&page=1

I think you'd have less waste carving from a round similar to this one:

Quote by @%username% on %date%